You Are In Love

a/n: this is not proofread so if there are any typos or things that may not make sense please point them out to me!! here's a very long oneshot based on "you are in love" by taylor swift :)

One look, dark room
Meant just for you
Time moved too fast
You play it back

Something strange happened. Something I hadn't expected.

All I was trying to do was get on with my English assignment. Our English assignment, I suppose. Today was just my unlucky day, because Mr. Phillips, my ELA teacher, (Don't get me started on this. Why would he be a teacher for the most imaginative class ever? I highly doubt he's ever even heard of an imagination.) announced we will have partners for this particular project. Excitedly, I looked at Diana, but, to my very evident dismay, Mr. Phillips paired us already. I just happened to be so unfortunate as to be cooperating with Gilbert Blythe.

When English class was dismissed, which also means school had ended because it was my last class, he smugly approached me, a smirk on his face.

"Hey, Shirley," Gilbert said, placing a stupid golden apple on my desk.

"I don't want your apple, Gilbert," I reply more calmly than I had intended, beginning to shove my books frustratedly in my bag.

"You haven't even tried one. Come on, I promise they're... scrumptious," he chuckled, his eyes flitting over me in a way that made my brain stop working for a quick second.

I sighed, "Fine," while picking up the fruit he had given me, only to ram it into my backpack with all my notebooks and whatnot before zipping my knapsack up. "I guess we should work on our project."

"Indeed. Do you-"

"Feel okay with taking your car? Yes, I do."

"How did you know I was gonna say that?" he laughed.

"Wild guess." I squinted and smiled. "I can't wait until I get my driver's license. So, am I going over to your house?"

"Is that okay?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, goofy, lopsided grin on his face.

"If you don't mind listening to Melanie Martinez and Phoebe Bridgers."

"Ehh..." He contemplated this for a moment. "Got yourself a deal."

The ride to the Blythe-Lacroix home was simple and nothing out of the ordinary. We laughed, we fought, we screamed.

Okay, I screamed. But we made amends very quickly because our argument was trivial.

Once he pulled into the driveway, he got out of his seat incredibly swiftly (Seriously, how is his speed humanly possible?) and opened my car door for me. He opened my car door for me?! What kind of invalid does he think I am?

"Gilbert Blythe, I am perfectly capable of getting out of a car and I certainly do not need your help, nor do I want it!"

"Just trying to be a gentleman," he said. Then he shut the door. "Do it yourself."

I grinned and got out of the car like the perfectly able person I am. I stood in front of him. "Thank you."

"You're very interesting, Anne," Gilbert responded with an irresistible smirk tugging at his lips. He was teasing me, yes, but it looked like there was some other intention behind his words.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I'm not sure if that's an insult or a compliment."

He put a hand on my shoulder, which, for some reason, gave me an indescribable feeling. "We may not always see eye to eye," he began, leaning down to my height for emphasis, which made me want to slap him, "but I would never say anything bad about you. I like your company."