Letter III

August 7, 20XX

August 7, 20XX

Hi Reed,

I thought it was just an ordinary day. The same routine and the same things over and over again. It was an endless cycle of waking up, working, and stopping to rest until I slept. That notion always made me dread the day, but today was different.

We were chatting when my manager called me to do something urgent. Because of the urgency of the matter, I unintentionally left you on read. When I had a moment to reply to your messages, I read all of them, but I could only give a quick and less sensible reply because my manager was calling me again.

I could feel my phone continuously vibrating as I listened to my manager discuss important information. My hand was itching to grab the phone, but she was discussing some crucial information, so I needed to pay attention.

When our call finally ended, I almost cried about your messages. They were aggressive, hateful, and hurtful. You said you were wasting your time when you shared things with me because of my senseless replies. You said it was worthless talking to me and that I was asking too many stupid questions. You told me I was just replying to say I responded, but I wasn't taking it in and never cared about anything you shared.

You accused me of never paying attention. You didn't know that I know how many times you have told me a story about you, your friends, or your previous encounters, but I always engage with the same enthusiasm I had when you first shared those stories with me. They may be repetitive, but you seemed happy and excited to talk about it, so I didn't bother to stop you from sharing them again and again.

I apologized and tried to explain what happened. You said you'd let it pass, and I was forgiven. At the back of my head, I remembered how you dismissed me that night, but how am I supposed to say it to your face? It wasn't important to you, so I kept it to myself... and that's okay. I am okay with it. I will be fine and forget it, just like I always do.

Not taking everything to heart,

Veronica