Chapter two

Sitting in the Great Hall of Hogwarts should feel amazing. Surrounded by excited conversation and anticipation of the coming year with friends. Familiar faces of classmates illuminated by the soft glow of candlelight, greeting you with a smile and laughter as you exchange the last stories from you summer.

But not this time. The Dementors had ruin the excitement and happy feelings. They just turned up on their way to Hogwarts, it was awful. A sudden chill had filled the Hogwarts Express, an oppressive feeling of fear wrapped around their chests like an iron armour. Hermione had felt her hands tremple- which they still do. A feeling of darkness had spread, letting them feel hopeless, let them feel like a living nightmare. Especially for Harry, who had fainted after a dementor tried to suck his soul out of him. The memeory of that moment felt awful, Hermiones chest tightened at that. Hermione thought they were lucky, Lupin was sitting with them in the compartment and could help Harry. Seeing the professor use the Patronus charm she remembered reading about it but yet she could not master it. Harry had told them about a woman screaming, apparently only he had heard it.

Now sitting in the Great Hall was different. Everyone seems off. No one is talking but if someone decides to it is in a hushed whisper. The teachers notice- well aware of what had happened in the train. The first years are being sortet in their Houses- the cheering rather low but who can blame them. This time Dumbledore has no problem catching everyones attention.

"Dear students and esteemed colleagues,

I would like to welcome each and every one of you to gather here within the walls of Hogwarts.

As for the recent incident on the Hogwarts Express during your journey, I must address the presence of Dementors. Their intrusion was both unexpected and unwarranted, and I can assure you all that the matter is being investigated. It is highly unusual for Dementors to enter a place for no reason, and their presence here at Hogwarts is purely a precautionary measure.

Dementors are, as you may know, strange creatures. They know no mercy and only act according to their instructions. I therefore ask you to exercise caution and not to approach them. By avoiding contact and not provoking them, you will remain unharmed.

On that note, I sincerely wish you a wonderful and fulfilling year at Hogwarts. May it be filled with moments of wonder, growth and friendship.

Let the feasting begin." After that being said, the food appears on the table and everyone starts digging in. The first years are still visibly in shock, not daring to even touch the food.

Hermione tries to change the subject of dementors for a moment and turns to Harry and Ron. "Do you know what I've heard? Professor McGonagall has chosen a new reading for Transfiguration class this year. I hear it's quite an interesting treatise on animagi."

Harry and Ron looked at each other for a moment. "You're honestly thinking about school now, Mione?" Ron asks, stuffing chicken wings into his mouth.

Harry nods in agreement. "Let's just enjoy the last few hours of our summer and not think about school."

Their conversation is rudely interrupted by a mocking tone. "Hey, Potter, is it really true that you fainted because of some Dementors?" Draco Malfoy asks with a spiteful grin from his seat at the Slytherin table.

Harry looked at Draco with a scowl, before he can say anything back he sees Hermione holding Ron back while saying, "What's it to you, Malfoy?!" His hands are clenched into fists. Hermione is still holding him back, worried he would attack Malfoy.

With a scornful look at the blond Slytherin, she says sharply, "You'd better mind your own business, Malfoy."

Draco mimics her mockingly and leans back, obviously satisfied that he had upset her. "Well, I just thought it would be interesting to know if Potter really is as weak as he seems," he says and then turns away as if the matter is settled for him.