6: What Could Happen

===

I check my phone for the 9th time today, certain I felt something only to see the same home screen again. I sigh.

I mean, how are we supposed to do anything when the victims themselves don't even want our help? Are we just crazy here?

I wouldn't be surprised if that were it all along...

Ryuji mentioned a friend of Takamaki at the gate, but he already tried talking to her. In spite of everything, all we technically have are rumors, rumors that will be denied without question.

The bell rings for the last time today. I look down at the stack of papers in my hand, papers I was directed to deliver across the school with 5 minutes left in class... If I were even half of what they said I was, I'd call it uncreative. At the very least, it's simple enough-

"Aaah!"

"Aaah!"

Papers go sprawling out as someone and I trip over each other.

"I'm so sorry!" We say in unison.

"Here, letmeuh... Let me help!" I sputter, frantically cramming the papers into a pile. I hesitate before handing them to the girl in front of me. Her face is heavily bruised. "I..." I pause. "...I, I just realized I have no idea which ones are yours, I'm sorry." I look down in shame. This must be another volleyball team member... I didn't know there was a girls team as well.

"N-no, it's okay, I was the one in the way..." She mumbles, picking out her papers from my pile. She looks at me with tired eyes. "Hmm... You don't look familiar... Are you that transfer student?"

I choke back the urge to deny it. My eyes drop, and all that comes out of me is a single exhale. "Y-Yeah..." Slowly, I gather the remaining papers, gently straightening them. I look up briefly. "Don't worry, I was just leaving-"

"N-No- I just wanted to say..." The girl pauses. "Don't... Don't let any of the rumors get to you, okay?"

With how quietly she spoke, I could have sworn I'd imagined it. But I look at her again, finding a kindness in her eyes I didn't know existed. A kind I couldn't deny is real.

"...Why do you say that?"

"I-I've helped someone in a situation like this before," She says. "My best friend is often misunderstood too, just because of her looks." She glances at something behind me.

A friend... is this... Suzui?

Her eyes widen. "Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to drag on for so long," she says suddenly. "I-I have to go to practice now, so..." She wanders away, leaving me shaken and touched.

"...Misunderstood, huh?" I wish I'd said. "I get the feeling. I wanna help her too."

I focus on the texture of the paper and reflect on the little we've done.

We gotta do something, but... how?

===

Ryuji's tapping his foot furiously when I find him in the courtyard.

"Dammit! What the hell..."

"...Did something happen?"

"Huh?" Oh, well..." He scowls and slams the vending machine. "All of 'em kept saying the same shit Mishima did! Kamoshida had to have told 'em something! At this point, we'll have to go to him directly..."

Is he serious??

"Are you kidding me? You're gonna get us both killed!"

He gives me a bewildered look.