7

"It's time, everyone," Delian says as she sits at the head of the meeting table. "Nilinya Afaron will be having a party for her birthday next week and for the third year, we've been invited to work for her."

"I remember you mentioned this a while ago. What exactly are we supposed to be doing?" Teval asks, intrigued by a foreign ambassador asking a small bounty hunting team for help.

"She always has interesting or high ranking guests at her parties and requests for us to listen for certain topics from time to time. She works closely with Sullindan Shipping to weed out any smuggling operations going on between our countries, and that one is at the top of the list. She said she doubts anyone would be bold enough to speak about it on her property," Delian explains as she gives Teval the list. "But sometimes, people let their guard down at parties with lots of free drinks."

"Smuggling, bribery, fraud, tax evasion," Teval mutters to himself as he reads the list and snorts. "So, anything really?"

"You know rich people. It's always about money and power," she says with a grin.

That's for sure, Teval thinks with a shake of his head.

"She also requested that we keep an eye on the walls or alert her guards if someone is trying to enter without an invitation," Delian adds. "Apparently, she's had a man stalking her for the last few weeks and she's worried he will try to get in and cause a commotion or attack someone."

"Any reason why?" Lexton asks.

"Nilin has been playing nice with a few politicians people in Tsulun hate, mostly to get them on her side to vote for a measure, and this man was particularly offended that she would even speak to them."

"Was one of them Representative Kortan?" Teval asks. Everyone hates that guy.

"Oh, you know him?" Delian asks in a light-hearted voice.

"Hard to ignore a guy who claimed that if we stop using drain engines the entire country would fall into chaos," Teval replies. Kortan has some very wild opinions that Teval does not agree with. Some of the elders in his family and ancestors come from Grandoth, which makes Teval wonder if he's trying to make sure they get more drain engines to implement from the eastern country.

"Anyway, everyone should keep an ear and eye out for everything that's listed," Delian says. "Teval, you'll need formal-wear for this. Do you have anything that's acceptable? She encourages both current fashion and traditional wear for her parties."

Teval's traditional clothing from Aubrin is at home in Reika with his parents, so he can't use that, but a tailor might have something he can borrow. "I think I can find something."

"Perfect. I don't have anything else for this week since we'll be paid a substantial amount from Nilinya just for attending, so unless anyone else has a suggestion for a bounty, we're all free to plan for the event," Delian tells them all.

Everyone shakes their heads, but Risol reaches across the table toward Teval and pats to get his attention. "I might have something you'll like to wear."

Teval tilts his head, and as everyone gets up, she motions for him to follow her out and they head upstairs.

"Normally, I wouldn't do this sort of thing, but Delian mentioned this job to us a while ago, and I happened upon this fabric," Risol says as she opens the door directly in front of the stairs to reveal a partially empty room with a desk, a sewing machine, some scattered fabrics, and various accessories for a tailor. A few dress forms stand empty but one has a lovely jacket made of a blue brocade with wave and water patterns, some of them accented in shining gold thread. It reminds Teval of the way the sun shines on the sea at sunset.