Chapter 1

"It was you," Taehyung cringes, a hand running through his hair, the other shaking while holding his gun. "Since the beginning."

"Me?" Jeongguk steps forward, perplexed. "What are you—"

His breathing stops right away.
He cannot move anymore, blocked by the cold barrel against his brow.

"I knew you were a fucker, but that much?"

"I don't know what—"

"Just shut up!" Taehyung explodes, pushing his weapon harder and harder against Jeongguk's forehead, making him go back.

A silence.

"You're a dead man, Jeon."

                        A few months earlier

"It's always the same shit," Taehyung gripes, "right, kiddo?" He turns his head towards Leroy, standing next to him, arms folded too.

"We're the only ones thinking that but yeah," the younger answers as he watches the meeting from afar.

"He solves a case and everyone admires him for that, but why? I mean, it's our job, for God's sake."

"Maybe they need a hero?"

"Don't you need one too?" the detective asks.

"You're already mine!" the officer teases.

"Piss off," Taehyung says as he shoulders him a bit, which doesn't really make Leroy move. There was a time when the older was able to do so very easily, but Leroy Jenkins is tougher now. Well, he has to in order to bear Taehyung, also known as the Lone Wolf in the 11th District of the Chicago P.D., the worst in regard to homicides.

"You could have the same reception for every victory," Leroy points it out to his colleague and superior.

"You know I don't care about the fame." Taehyung sighs and shakes his head slowly. "For real, I don't get it. So much champagne and congratulations for some robberies? Well, good, but we still have to take care of rapes and murders."

"I feel you, but we're the 11th District, Taehyung, people need some light from time to time."

"Ain't no light in Harrison. That's why we're here."

"Don't be so pessimistic."

"That's my nature, 'Roy."

A lot of noise, some stupid laughs and a bit of alcohol.
Everything Taehyung hates.
But the thing he hates the most is standing right in the middle of the station.
Well, not really a thing, but Taehyung finds him so superficial that it's near enough. Superficial, indeed, but apparently efficient too. Since his arrival, Detective Jeon has solved a lot of cases with his partner, but the later is often forgot in aid of the new guy.
Fortunately, they're part of another team of the Violent Crimes Section, which is made up of three teams in all, each led by a sergeant.

"We serve and protect, here's our motto. Why can't they just do that?"

"We serve and protect," mimics Seokjin as he shows up beside Taehyung, copying the detective's low voice.
A simple sentence and Taehyung's heart skips a beat. Damned Sergeant Kim, and above all, damned thoughts.

"Go get a drink, idiot," the detective says, not in the mood for Seokjin's digs.

"Somebody's grumpy tonight," concludes the broad-shouldered man before he leaves, knowing that staying would be a waste of time given Taehyung's attitude.