end

Graduation Day

Today is finally the day everyone anticipated. The graduation day. The whole circle of friends gathered around, and Jeun pulled me in.

"Congratulations guys! Huhu, I'm going to miss you." Hyuna hugged me.

"Hey! Let's take a picture!" Jihoon suggested while waving the camera in his hand, its strap draping his neck. Everyone cheered.

"But where's Shinyu?" Shinyu is still nowhere to be found. That's why I'm becoming more impatient because I had seen him in the school earlier, but I wasn't able to get his attention because he was so in a rush. 

It's making me feel sad. Does a single text really that hard? But I kept my mum because it's the most important day for everyone, and for Shinyu too since he's the valedictorian of the whole batch. 

Annoyed, I stumped my feet. We didn't push the picture because none of us wanted to take the first group picture without Shinyu, so we had to wait until the end. In the middle of the ceremony, my eyes were always on Shinyu. I am waiting for him to search for mine too.

When it's finally time to go up on stage, I can't help but feel proud of myself. Mrs. Kim was on the other side of the stage, smiling at me widely while my friends, Jeun, Hyuna, Shinyu's circle of friends, and my parents, who sat a little far from each other, clapped their hands as they watched me reach the stage. 

I finally locked my eyes with Shinyu too, and just like a magic heal, my heart instantly warmed at the sight of Shinyu, staring at me proudly as he clasped his hands above his lap. But there was a hint of uneasiness and nervousness hidden beneath his gleaming eyes.

Everyone cheered when Shinyu's name was called, along with his achievements from his first year to his senior year. His face was painted with a big smile, never tearing their eye contact apart. I felt proud of him, as I've always been, and I can't fathom that this person is my boyfriend.

"Good morning, everyone." Shinyu started off his speech. 

"Growing up, I feel like I'm only trying to survive everyday while forgetting to be alive. Those achievements I gained throughout each grade level are the evidence of the early loss of my childhood. But even then, I mainly focused on what should be done and what I believe was my goal—to be like my Dad. When I entered the first year of high school, I met these five amazing idiots who helped me discover youth again. They were the ones who taught me to have fun and to realise that life is not just about chasing after validation and achievements." He smiled.

"There are times when I doubt myself, but I was so scared I might disappoint around me, so I pretended to know what I was doing. I can easily ace the test, but that doesn't mean there were no sleepless nights exchanged just for that perfect score. Having to stand before everyone today made me realise that doubting yourself along the way is completely normal. We just have to embrace our imperfection and accept ourselves fully." He paused for awhile, his eyes wandering around as if they were searching for something, and then finally, it landed on me. He looked nervous.

"There are people that I'm so thankful for in this journey. From my homeroom teacher, friends—especially my Dad, thank you. I may not be a perfect son, and you may not be a perfect father, but I know we're slowly getting there, that we're slowly changing ourselves in a good way. I love you, Dad. I may not show it sometimes because I'm afraid, but it's true. And for this person who discovered my weakness, who tapped my shoulder when no else did, and who saw the other side of me I've never shown to anyone.." Shinyu smiled.

"To my girlfriend.." he trailed off, and everyone gasped. 

He never stopped looking at me as if I were the only one there at the moment. My heart jumped at the sight.

"To Won Sooji," Shinyu gestured his hands towards me, which made everyone instantly turn their heads, and every student gave a big gasp and shout. Some were teasing, and some were just pure shock. Yeah, right. How can two enemies suddenly reveal that they're dating?

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply or receive your calls, love. I was very nervous about this because I thought it'd make you mad. I love you so much, Sooji. I hope the paper ring I made tied our souls together." He looked at me, who was now teary-eyed. This is very unexpected, given the fact that I've been stopping him from making our relationship public. 

"I love you too!" I yelled in between my falling tears. Everyone cheered. Hanjin, Dohoon, Kyungmin, Youngjae, and Dohoon smiled proudly over Shinyu, who stood confidently on the stage, introducing me as his girlfriend with full happiness. 

"I love you!" Shinyu and I ran towards each other in the middle of the crowd. We embraced each other as soon as we were finally in the same space. Everyone around cheered.

"Guys! Picture!" Jihoon excitedly waved his camera, and the whole circle immediately posed for the picture. 

Shinyu and I looked at each other. As I was looking into his eyes, I suddenly saw my future with him. Our future wedding, my dream house, the kids, and the random singing along in the kitchen—we're both happy. I smiled.

"I like shiny things, but I think I'd prefer marrying you with paper rings." I muttered and kissed him. I heard a quick sound of camers clicking, and the next thing I knew, everyone was teasing us. 

"I can’t just believe we went from enemies to this," he muttered after kissing me.

THE END.