Eight - Our worst creations

When the light vanished around us and Lux began to look around with a worried expression, I couldn't resist; her lips still parted, exactly as when she was about to reply to me, and I cursed the weather for stealing an opportunity from me to carry...

When the light vanished around us and Lux began to look around with a worried expression, I couldn't resist; her lips still parted, exactly as when she was about to reply to me, and I cursed the weather for stealing an opportunity from me to carry out my threats. I took advantage of her distraction to kiss her once again, causing her to inhale in surprise, her large green eyes, filled with questions, focused on me again.

Unfortunately, this moment didn't last; I now find myself in a strange underground library, as sinister as it is vast, deserted, holding Lux's slender shoulders.

I recognize the vile creature not far from us, having spotted it the moment I chased after Lux. These things are abominations that should not exist, creatures created by us but who have gone astray, allowing themselves to be corrupted to the point of being worse than those they now hunt.

Where I come from, it is agreed that their change of target is a true blessing, and some losses on the opposing side are always welcome.

I would think the same if this angelic creature's substitute wasn't laying its lifeless eye sockets on the woman who belongs to me.

Lux is afraid, I can feel it. Her little body is pressed against mine, and yet, when the silhouette still lying on the ground emits a pathetic whimper of pain, Lux doesn't hesitate for a second, slipping out of my embrace and confronting the nightmare ready to tear her apart.

Brave little fool that she is.

If there's one thing I know, it's that Lux received the fewest gifts in her family. All the devil's offspring have talents, extraordinary abilities in various fields, but not her. I learned the other night that one of the only ones she possesses is to enchant anyone who gets too close to her when her gorgeous body starts to sway to music.

I also know she can sense certain things.

But apart from that, I don't know if Lux is capable of anything else out of the ordinary, and after years of watching her from afar, spying on her every move, I can swear that if she possesses any other abilities, she's as unaware of them as I am.

I don't have time to catch up to her as the ghoul rises to its feet, charging towards her like a rabid animal ready for a fight.

Running on all fours gives it the appearance of possessed bodies as depicted in human horror films, very fond of such phenomena as long as they don't come face to face with a real creature like this.

But that doesn't discourage my young redhead, whom I see accelerate in turn.

What is she thinking?

She'll probably hate the idea of me coming to her aid, but I can't let her rush into danger like this.

Quickly, I catch up to her, maybe just in time to grab the ghoul by the throat as it leaps over Lux. It was what she wanted, I gather, as she dives to the ground to pass beneath the ghoul and rush to the side of the whimpering form. Whether I was there or not, she planned to throw herself like that to get to the other side and reach the trembling, possibly injured silhouette.