FANTASTIC FOUR

OCTOBER 1991

 Mary Jane Watson felt like a kid in a candy store. She loved science and technology. Sitting alone in Oscorp's computer lab, she marveled at all of the latest hardware that was available as part of her internship with the company. While the purpose of her internship was to assist in the testing of the Z-99 Cold Fusion Reactor, the teen girl relished the opportunity to play with all the other toys available to her at Oscorp Tower. She smiled while working on a state of the art IBM desktop computer. The operating system was the newest version of Microsoft Windows, which was not yet available to the public.

"Oh, this is so cool," Mary Jane whispered to herself.

It was hard for the young woman to contain her joy while playing the assortment of enjoyable games that were on the IBM computer. However, her reason for being in Oscorp's computer lab on this Friday evening went beyond just mere fun and games. She soon went into the company's database and searched through its inventory system. Several weeks ago there was a break-in at an Oscorp warehouse facility and a number of mechanical components had been stolen. Mary Jane scrolled through the inventory database in an effort to identify exactly what was missing. After nearly an hour of searching, it seemed as though the young woman found something. There had been a number of changes made to their inventory totals. This must have been to account for the missing items. Mary Jane had never heard of most of this kind of equipment before. A number of muon detectors had been stolen, along with something called a hadronic calorimeter. There were several cases of drift tubes missing from their inventory as well. Gradient rings and charging chains. Other items that were, for the most part, unknown to the inquisitive teen girl.

"What the heck is this stuff?" she wondered.

Using Oscorp's new and advanced computer system, the plucky teenage girl accessed the information superhighway via CompuServe. The world's leading online service was a useful tool for researching any number of different subjects. After searching for a few minutes, she soon discovered that the stolen items were components of a particle accelerator. A particle accelerator? Mary Jane wondered why they were stealing these things. She made a printout of the stolen items, and then got ready to leave. While sitting alone in her cubicle, her thoughts were soon interrupted by the ringing of the phone.

"Oscorp Industries, this is Mary Jane." she spoke into the receiver.

"We're running a little late, sexy girl." Betty jokingly greeted her friend.

"No problem," Mary Jane replied while checking her watch. "Hey, do you think we can make a quick pit stop before hitting the movie theater tonight?"

"I guess so," Betty replied. "Where at Liz's house now. She's taking forever to get ready. So where do you want to go before the movie? Over to Peter Parker's house? So you can make out with him?"

"Very funny," Mary Jane deadpanned.

"Seriously, though." Betty expressed. "Where do you want to go?"

"Empire State University," she answered.

"That's kinda out of our way," Betty noted, sounding confused. "Why do you want to go there?"

"I'll tell you on the way," Mary Jane stated.

"Why are you being so mysterious?" her friend asked.

"I'm not being mysterious," Mary Jane replied, defensively.

"Oh, Glory wants you to know that she refuses to see Ernest Scared Stupid." Betty mentioned.