Chapter 7 - James' POV

September

I saw Chloe go down to the dining room, where the table was set with six places, my mother and father hadn't come down yet, Julia and I were in the yard talking. She decided to leave us alone.

I was happy to know that Chloe liked the idea of me dating one of her best friends. The fact that we were from different schools would make the relationship simpler and more fun, without a doubt.

Chloe used to say that I was an amazing guy, similar to our father in almost every way. I knew how to treat a girl, having grown up in many situations with my sister. Chloe always told me everything that was going on in her life, which made our relationship more intimate than just that of twin siblings. We didn't have that magic that other twins seemed to have, where one knew what the other was feeling, or when they were far apart they could sense if something bad was happening to the other. On the contrary, I never had an insight into how my sister felt, or vice versa. But we both learned to decipher each other's signals; the communication between us was something to be envied. We owed a lot of this to our parents, who were extremely communicative.

Charlotte and Russell were always very open with us, acting clearly and transparently. They weren't the type to say one thing and do another, or to punish us without explaining why. When we were younger and broke a glass, for example, they didn't fight with us for our lack of attention. Instead, they made sure we were okay, unhurt, and told us that accidents happen. When Russ traveled and left Lotte alone with us, we were sad, but he always made a point of calling us to at least put us to sleep, as he did when he was at home. Russel's travels and tours stopped when we turned twelve, as this had been planned since before we were born. We were very sorry when our father's singing career ended, but we stuck together and made him promise that he would never give up music.

Julia and I entered the house just as an icy wind hit. The doorbell rang, making Chloe jump to her feet as if she had woken up from a reverie. She got up and went to the door, looking anxious. She gave her hair a final tidy and smoothed down the dress she was wearing, making sure everything was just right. Then she opened the door and ran into Josh, who was wearing jeans and a blue shirt.

Julia and I went into the kitchen to get a glass of water.

"Do you think they'll get back together?" Julia asked after taking a sip of her water.

"I don't know, but it looks like they will." I shrugged.

"I hope so, they look so cute together," she said, putting her glass in the sink and leaving the kitchen.

I walked after her without hurrying, I only heard her interrupting my sister and Josh.

"Look, if my favorite couple isn't alive!" Julia said. "Are you still going to say you're just friends, C?" Chloe laughed.

"No, I'm not saying anything, Ju! Oh yeah, Julia and James are kind of together!"

"What? What do you mean?" Josh asked.

I walked into the living room with a glass of water in my hand and handed it to Julia. I hugged her from behind and placed a kiss on her temple.

"Hi, Josh!" I waved to the boy next to my sister.

"Hi, James!" Julia and I sat on the sofa facing him and Chloe. "Taking good care of our mascot?" Josh said, referring to Julia.

"Mascot?" Julia questioned, making Chloe laugh weakly. "Honey, I'm the next captain of the cheerleaders... mascot, respect me!" She threw a pillow at the boy, but it fell beside him.

"Are you taking good care of my sister?" I retorted with a playful tone.

"Always, even more so from now on," Chloe replied and then kissed the boy next to her.