Chapter 2

Silence descended upon the four of them.

"What did you just say?" Marc asked Kyle, taking a step forward to pick up Emily. Kyle just took a step back, letting out a small warning growl.

"How is that even possible?" Luke asked, his head jumping between both males.

Kyle took a deep breath. The news was also a shock to him. The same question that crossed Luke's mind had been playing in his head. Why would he get a mate that had been just born? Was it to teach him patience or to open him up to Rogues? No matter the reason, the Moon Goddess had decided their fate. He was an Alpha, but he wouldn't dare disobey the wish of their Deity.

Kyle calmly searched Marc's eyes, trying to show the male that he wasn't going to hurt the creature in his arms. What had Marc called her? Ah yes... Emily.

"Emily is my mate. I felt the connection as I touched her finger. There is a bond between her and my wolf. I can feel his protectiveness towards her. Fear not, my friend. I won't hurt her." Kyle said, glancing at both his friends.

Kyle could feel Marc's hesitation. The male was still considering to take Emily from his arms. He wouldn't blame the male for trying. Luke on the other hand, seemed to have digested the whole situation in the space of seconds.

"This is some sick joke. It must be..." Marc started to pace around. "She is a baby, Kyle. You are twenty three. How could've this happen?" His second in command exclaimed. The male seemed more frustrated and indignant than Kyle himself.
He had to smile. Marc seemed already protective of the baby and Luke couldn't stop glancing at the blanket. How had this happened?
Three grown up men, warriors, killers, that seemed to be trapped between the little fingers of this sweet little pup. They were all at her mercy. Emily started crying again. Maybe she had noticed the change of the emotions surrounding her. Marc looked worried. He hadn't stopped pacing from left to right and back to left again.

"Marc please, calm down. You are making her cry. My wolf doesn't like that, and you know too well that I am twenty now, but we slow our aging process at this age. It's not that she will be mated to an old male. In eighteen years, the age of my body will correspond to around twenty-three." Kyle tried to reason with the male.

"This is what I call... going cold turkey." Luke exclaimed, starting to laugh. It actually helped to "cool down" the situation.
Luke was a joker, when he was nervous. That could play in his favor, but he had also placed himself in difficult situations, thanks to his big mouth. He couldn't handle a serious moment without saying the most absurd thing. But the male, knowing Kyle for so long, had nailed the comment. Even Kyle himself couldn't bring himself to be mad at him.

"You have no luck in life, my friend. I have to say it. You have to wait to mark her or be with her." Luke had now a serious face. It was obvious that he was concerned about the baby and possible future Luna of his pack. With who would she live? How could they take care of her? Three men and a baby could lead to disaster if they didn't have someone with experience beside them. None of them were the maternal type. They knew that they lacked the knowledge and conditions to raise her well. It would also turn the situation more creepy for her. Once grow up to realize that one her "father figures" was destined to exercise the coital performance with her. No. She couldn't live with them.
The last thing that was crossing Kyle's mind was to mark the little girl or do something sexual with her. To rob her of choosing, to rape a minor. That was disgusting! Still Kyle was worried about how his wolf would react once the girl would turn eighteen or started to meet other friends. That fear was something that he wanted to keep to himself though. He really meant it when he thought about respecting her decision to be with or without him. At least in theory.

"The last thought I have right now is about the mating process. I am concerned about her wellbeing. I want to make sure she will grow up happy and healthy. I want her to feel part of the pack. I won't force her to mate with me when the time arrives. That will be her choice." Kyle spoke, looking both his friends in the eyes. He could see Marc's shoulders relax. Luke nodded in response. Emily had stopped crying, but she seemed to be unrested. Maybe she was tired, or hungry, or missed her parents. Her parents... Kyle looked up and around. No sign of the couple that had been with them during the fight. "Where is the couple? We need to search the woods and find them." Time had already passed, and most likely they had crossed the borders already.