Chapter 3

The first thing that Carol did when she arrived home was to prepare a warm bath for Emily. Luke had texted her as soon as she had gotten home. He would come by and tell her more about what had happened in the forest. Carol's house was not as big as the pack house or Kyle's private residency, but she had worked hard at the dinner to help her mate, Mathew afford their home. She had spent hours looking at magazines to help her decide for one type of decoration. Mathew had shown an endless patience with her. For half a year they slept on just a mattress, not because they didn't have money to afford a bed, but because she was unsure if they should have something with a headboard or something without.
Some years later, the couple had collected some experience, after having navigate through decorative uncertainties and more than ten "small" rearrangements around the house. Their relationship had not been without challenges, but thanks to their strong bond, and great communicative skills, they had enough knowledge to fight any adversity that could come their way.
Carol looked at Emily. She was so small, maybe a week old, but not more. What had happened to her parents? Would they come back? That thought made Carol's heart squeeze. She should wish for that to come true, but her mother's instincts had started to kick in, making her wolf and herself react negatively towards the possibility of loosing Emily.
In her heart she had already accepted Emily as her own daughter.

Luke arrived exactly when Carol finished washing Emily. She carefully wrapped Emily on a cleaned towel, drying her slowly. Her brother seemed to have taken a liking on the little baby as well. The way he was staring at Emily warmed Carol's heart. They both sat on the sofa and Luke told her how Emily's parents had appeared and disappeared after the fight. She looked at the little girl.

"Your parents were brave my little one. They fought bravely to protect you and I will make sure you know that someday. No matter wherever they are, they will somehow always be with you." She said while rocking Emily gently.

They sat there for some minutes, before Kyle and Marc knocked on the door. Apparently they also felt the need to check on the baby. How would years pass under her care if the three of them couldn't hold one hour apart from her daughter? Unbelievable!!

She started searching for the clothes that she had bought while she was pregnant with Jackson. Then she remembered that she had given all the clothes, toys and crib to other women of the pack that had been in need. Jackson had started to sleep on a bed with protections some months prior. Mathew had suggested to transfer him to his own bedroom to get used to it. Little they knew that some months later they would need everything.

"I need clothes and a new crib." She looked at the men. "Could you go buy everything tomorrow?"

Almost immediately, all three males nodded. "For now I need your shirt Kyle. Emily seems to enjoy being near you and tonight it's her first night in this house. I would use one of Mathew's but she knows your scent already and I want her calm." Carol explained, while placing Emily on the sofa beside her and opening the towel. Kyle almost hit her face while passing his shirt, so she looked up, with questioning eyes. It was a miracle that she didn't laugh at his ridiculous behavior.

"You know that you can open your eyes. I'm not naked." She commented, trying to keep a straight face. Then something unique happened. The Alpha of their pack, the man that commanded everyone around and had no problem killing with his bare hands, blushed slightly. Her face must have shown her surprise because he cleared his throat, adopting a serious facial expression.

"I know that you are not naked..." - he said - "...but Emily is, and even when she is my mate, it feels wrong to look at her when she is exposed." He said. Once again, he moved the arm that was holding the shirt, almost slapping Carol. "Take this. I hope it will fit her." Carol stared at the black shirt that Kyle was holding. Picking it up, she let out a laugh. "Alpha, this is a very large shirt. Fear not. Your mate could be completely covered by just the sleeve." She said.
"Oh! Well you can tear it apart, if it helps." Kyle replied.
The Alpha kept his eyes closed until she was done dressing Emily.