Chapter 11

The winter sun sets quickly on the coastal town as the trio search for the right brothel. The streets come to life as night falls and lanterns light up the buildings surrounding the path. Mizu leads her companions through the bustling streets as they search for a brothel. At first glance, the area where they are would seem completely normal. The more Ryuu and Ringo look around, they quickly realize they are in the pleasure sector of the city. Men gawk at the women lined up behind what look like cages. Ryuu glances around at the dozens of men staring at the women and he scoffs. Ringo rushes to try to catch up to Mizu to get her attention.

"Master." No response from Mizu. "Master?" Ringo steps to the side of Mizu so he can see her face. "You do know what they do in brothels? Master?" Ryuu wonders what exactly he meant by that.

"Oh, I'm sure Mizu has been to plenty of brothels. I bet all the women just eat you right up," Ryuu chuckles. Mizu glances at him and just glares. "I'm just teasing darling, I feel like that's not something you'd partake in." Mizu sighs and turns back around, heading deeper into the heart of the pleasure sector.

"Have you ever been to a brothel?" Ringo asks Ryuu.

"I've seen my fair share of brothels, sure." Mizu looks down at the ground and her heart seems to sink.

Is he really just like every other man out there? Simply driven by lust and pleasure? He's just like every other pathe-

"Though I never actually participated. I'd often end up killing the clients that the brothels would sometimes service," Ryuu unknowingly interjects Mizu's degrading thought about him.

Hmm. Maybe I was too quick to judge him. Would he participate if it were me...? Mizu stops the thought far too late after it forms. Good gods stop it. Get yourself together. This is no place nor the time for those kinds of thoughts.

Ryuu watches Ringo look around at the lanterns and doesn't realize that Mizu has now stopped in front of a brothel. Ringo bumps into Mizu and Ryuu bumps into Ringo, sending Mizu forward slightly. Ryuu turns to look at the dimly lit brothel they stand in front of and notices a sign that shows a small bird.

"Here," Mizu concludes. She begins walking up the small staircase and Ryuu follows closely behind. The pair enter the building and are met with a single man sipping on sake. Ringo is the last to enter the building and he shuts the door behind them. The man sits his cup of sake down and greets them.

"Welcome, gentlemen. Welcome." He bows to the trio that has entered. "We are pleased to have you select us from options." He takes a step closer to Mizu. "Do you happen to have an appointment?" he asks kindly with a smile on his face.

"Madame Kaji is the proprietor here. I would like to see her," Mizu gently demands.

"Madame Kaji's clients book months ahead. If you prefer older women, we cater to every taste."

Hmm. I wonder what his tastes are, if he even has any. Maybe that's something he'd be willing to explore... No, stop it. Stop stop stop. This is not the time to be thinking like this. We're here to gather information. Knock it off. Mizu's jaw tenses with the unwelcome thoughts.

"My taste is to be seen by Madame Kaji," Mizu hisses back in Ryuu's signature tone. He glances at Mizu, and he smiles knowing that he's clearly made an impression on him. The host smiles tightly and bows. Mizu removes her poncho and folds it neatly into a square. She also removes her hat, and she tucks both items underneath her arm. She turns to Ryuu, and she raises an eyebrow as she looks him over.

"If you're wanting me to remove this, then I'm sorry to disappoint my dear. I don't seem to retain body heat, and this keeps me as warm as it should," Ryuu insisted. Mizu rolls her eyes and follows the host through the sliding door and into the main waiting area.