THE FOUR SILHOUETTES || CHAPTER 3

...TWO WEEKS LATER...

We started getting settled into the New York City way of life. My Dad started working as a private consultant at an agricultural firm. I think it's called something Industries. I can't remember exactly the first word. He is a project manager with the agricultural farms — specifically citrus fruits. My sister was an underwriting manager at an insurance company. I managed to figure out where the library, convenience store, art store and music store are within the vicinity. I always made a joke with myself that I get lost every ten minutes and then I need to follow my nose.

I would make regular stops at the convenience store and make sure to get the essentials we needed like bread, milk, eggs, soda and chips.

I stopped at the art store today to get the materials for my portfolio and an interview coming up. I have a couple of months to get my portfolio ready. I got my canvasses, charcoal pencils, paints, turpentine and paintbrushes. The plan was to go tonight to the roof landing and paint what I thought I saw two weeks ago.

I also stopped at the library today to make sure I got my library card and got to know the library and its departments of books. I am an absolute bookworm. I just love reading and living through someone else's eyes. But the library card is now specifically for when I start with my studies. I am planning a career in the fine arts and art history. Like an art curator.

I heard the reports coming in on the local TV screens as I passed by the convenience store. Being displayed on the TV screens.

"New developments in that ongoing sanitation strike to tell you about. But first, after reviewing the city's soaring crime rates with the police commissioner, Councilman Dan Gregor took to the steps of City Hall, reaffirming the city's commitment to fight against the rising crime organization calling themselves the Foot Clan. He did so on the heels of a renewed contract with Eric Sacks and Sacks Industries. Using the Sacks research and securities technology, this city greatly improves its chances of bringing the Foot Clan to justice."

I listened to this coverage story and wondered if Eric Sacks isn't part of the Foot Clan. It was just my conscience that spoke to me. I shrugged and carried on with the bags of groceries.

I got back to the loft and placed my keys on the key holder that my sister had placed next to the door. She is a bit of an extremist and a perfectionist. Everything needs to be in its assigned place. I am a bit more of a scatterbrain. I always call my space 'organized chaos'.

No one was home. It was only me. I preferred it this way, so I didn't need to put on a fake smile and pretend to be someone in front of my Dad.

I took off my clothes and got my old black denim and my stained Metallica black t-shirt out. I was thinking of the day my Mom got me this t-shirt. She was still trying to convince me to get a pink t-shirt and I motioned a gag reflex to my Mom. I hated the color pink. In my eyes, it is not even a color. She laughed casually, shaking her head at me and got me the black t-shirt.

Getting myself pumped to do this portfolio, I placed my earphones in my ears and started listening to Bon Jovi.

"It's my life... It's now or never... I ain't going to live forever... I just want to live while I am alive..."

I started to jam to the beat and I danced a bit, even though I had no rhythm. I placed all my materials and canvasses in a box. I opened my window to the fire escape. I took a gulp and braced myself. I do have one fear, though – heights. My Dad and Carly knew this about me very well. They knew I tried not to fear anything else, but heights are one thing I just can't get over. With a deep, calming breath, I stared at the stairs the whole time. I started to climb up to the roof of the apartment block. I started to set up my space to be able to do the painting that I had been thinking about for the past two weeks. I didn't dare to look over the edge, as I would hyperventilate and go into full panic attack mode.