10. Releasing the Tension

My mind was a mess, and I was barely getting enough sleep

My mind was a mess, and I was barely getting enough sleep. The thoughts ping pong between securing my fortune and doing right by Daisy. Somehow, that girl convinced me to care about her, and she did it so easily.

When I think about what her ex did to her, I want to punch something- no, stab something, probably him. I couldn't stop myself from wondering what his name was and how I could track him down. He needed to feel as much suffering as Daisy did living on her own.

I turned with a huff under my bedsheets. Who am I kidding? I hadn't the slightest clue what she went through. Every time I tried to get her to talk about it, she hid her problems behind a smile like it was no big deal.

After coming to the conclusion that sleep was not happening, I crawled out of bed. My mind was too frazzled, and seeing that it was the middle of the week with some unimportant meetings, no one would miss me at work. I threw on a plain white t-shirt over my boxers and walked downstairs. My hair was a mess, but I didn't care.

My eyebrows arched at Daisy's presence in the kitchen so early in the morning. She was wearing one of Rafael's aprons, her eyebrows knitted in concentration as she assembled something behind the counter. Rafael's laughter died in his throat once he saw my face. He was standing way too close to her.

"You're up!" She beamed, taking in my disheveled form. "Not going to work today?"

"No," I grumbled, keeping an eye on Rafael. He backed away and pretended to do something next to the stove.

"You look terrible. Are you sick?" Daisy looked at me with concern, then placed a gentle hand on my forehead. I tried to hold back a smile. Not even my own mother showed this much concern when I was sick. Daisy looked like her whole world had shattered. I took her hand gently off my forehead.

"Fine. Just couldn't sleep well."

"No worries! Some breakfast will make you feel better." She handed me a plate with eggs, sunny side up, crispy bacon, and an odd figure made of grape tomatoes. It was held together with toothpicks and had a carrot on top in the shape of a hat. "Do you like it?" She asked nervously.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's a tomato soldier. He'll protect your breakfast from the wrong hands and make sure Rafael never gives you the wrong bacon ever again," she joked.

"Thanks for throwing me under the bus, Daisy," Rafael smirked.

The smile I tried to hide earlier had escaped. She did these things so effortlessly. She was definitely who I needed to make sure I didn't go down as the tyrannical rich guy who lost his entire fortune to lack of empathy and wreckless behavior.

"Rafael, take the rest of the day off," I commanded.

"Wait, it was just a joke. You don't need to dismiss him over it," Daisy said in a panic.