Chapter three: Unwanted popularity

Songs used in this chapter on YouTube:

° XG - TGIF

° 3YE - OOMM

° Twice - ICON

° (G)I-DLE - Rollie

° NEFFEX - Free me

° Purple Kiss - Oh my gosh

° LeeHi ft. Choi Hyun Suk (of Treasure) - 1,2

° ITZY - Cherry

- Start of the chapter three -

Lia: "Come on, let's head to our lockers."

Lia said while linking her arm once more with mine. Why are they persistent to befriend me? Their 'friend' group seems rather exclusive. Or maybe they think I'm an asset to their group, because I'm wealthy in their eyes just like them. What should I do with them?

Elly: "Come on, let's go. Our breaks are already short."

Elly said while walking through the door frame with Nina by her side. Lia pulled me along with her, following her two so-called friends. I didn't say anything and followed them. As we strolled down the hallway, I couldn't shake off the feeling that Lia and her friends were hiding something beneath their polished exteriors. The way Lia effortlessly commanded Chaeryeong to fetch snacks with an air of entitlement, while the poor girl scurried away with downcast eyes, spoke louder than words. I decided to probe a little deeper, steering the conversation towards the other classmates.

You: "So, what about the others in our class? Anyone interesting?"

I asked as we ascended the stairs. Lia wrinkled her nose delicately, as if the mere thought of the others was distasteful. Lia shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly, a dismissive smirk tugging at her lips.

Lia: "Honestly, most of them are nobodies. Just a bunch of losers trying to fit in where they don't belong. But there are a couple of exceptions."

My interest piqued when hearing her words. I think she's referring to those two boys who came to greet me earlier. We had taken the last step of the staircase, reaching the ground floor. A long hallway filled with lockers greeted me once more.

You: "Like who?"

Lia's gaze flickered towards two distant figures standing by the row of lockers, their presence seemingly unassumed yet noticeable. They were casually talking with one another. Namjoon noticed us, giving us a subtle nod before continuing his conversation. J-hope didn't see us because his back was facing us.

Lia: "Namjoon and J-hope. They're kind of alright, I guess. Namjoon's the class-president, you know, the smart and rich type. And J-hope's more into sports, but he isn't from a wealthy family."

I made a mental note for myself, filling away the information for future reference. I had observed those two only by their appearance and my intuition was right once more. J-hope is indeed a sporty type of person, and Namjoon is the wealthy class-president. We didn't walk into the direction the two boys were standing, but the opposite way.

Nina: "Is your locker also this way? We can stop by at yours as well if it isn't."

You: "Oh, it's this way."

I replied, following Nina's lead. Once we each reached our own locker, I quickly opened my locker. I stowed away my biology book and retrieved my math book, preparing for the next class. As I glanced around, my eyes landed on the quiet girl who had been sitting next to me in class, standing at her locker a few meters away from mine.