Lantern Rite

POV: Xiao

I wake up covered in cold sweat. The sun is beating down on my pale face. I have the sudden urge to scream. the pain lances up my back, taking my breath away. Death seems so close in these moments. I wish I could just embrace the change and leave this world to never return.

      My friends, and my family, are waiting for me. I just want to see them now. But I can't. I'm stuck in this realm against my will, and that pain, that reality, hurts worse than any stab wound could ever hurt.
     As the pain fades to an ache in the back of my skull, I stand. The sun is high in the sky, liyue mountains rise above the horizon. This time of year is my favorite, when the xiao lanterns light up the night sky, and there's always that cold nip at my ears. It helps me not to focus on the pain.
      I know that I'm supposed to do something today, but I can't remember what. I hear a voice behind me, I turn around to see Shenhe and Zhongli talking. Zhongli looks up and sees me.

      "I wasn't expecting to see you here, Xiao." His voice causes the pain to dim down a little.

      "Have you visited Cloud retainer yet?" Shenhe asks. That's what I'm supposed to do today, I think to myself.

     "No, it slipped my mind," I say.

      "I'm headed over there just now if you want to come with me," Says Shenhe.

      "Just remember, it's the lantern rite, so smile a little." Says Zhongli. He knows how much I hate smiling, but I nod anyway, you don't want to see Zhongli mad.

     "Ok, let's go." Says Shenhe. Already walking away. Zhongli waves.

      "let's get this over with" I mumble.