c h a p t e r 1

chapter 1 - on the train - s.b.

s i r i u s   b l a c k                   bounded onto the Hogwarts Express, James Potter close behind him, his brain full of ideas for the year to come— the pranks he and the marauders would pull, how he never had to answer to his abusive family ...

                  bounded onto the Hogwarts Express, James Potter close behind him, his brain full of ideas for the year to come— the pranks he and the marauders would pull, how he never had to answer to his abusive family ever again. All of his worries and all of his heartache seemed to be behind him.
Sirius collapsed onto the train car seat beside Peter Pettigrew, his smile wide and doggish.

"Oi' Peter, how have you been!" Sirius barked a laugh as he scrubbed his hand into Peter's hair.

"Get off, will you," Peter whined as he pushed Sirius off of him and switched seats to sit next to Remus, who was calmly reading a book next to Lily Evans.

"You're in a horribly good mood seeing as we're all going back to school," Marlene Mckinnon groaned as she pushed her large muggle sunglasses up. They caught her blonde hair, pushing it away to reveal two new piercings up her ear.

Lily laughed as she kicked Marlene from her spot by the window. Sirius only scooted closer to the blonde girl to make room for James as he plopped himself down beside him.

"I'm in a good mood, Marls, because we're all back together for our sixth year," Sirius exclaimed as he pulled Marlene under his arm, squishing her snuggly against him. "And that I am completely free and can do whatever I want for the rest of my life."

Lily's smile grew into a more subdued, sympathetic one, "I am sorry to hear about your family, Black."

"No need for any of that, Lils my dear," Sirius said with false bravado. "I will be of age in just a few months and I wasn't planning to stay with those snobby gits anyways."

James laughed and grabbed Sirius away from Marlene, pulling him into his own hug.

"Plus, Padfoot and I are officially brothers now that he's living with me and my folks," James said as he pretended to kiss Sirius on the cheek. Sirius pushed James' face away from him, laughing again.

"Funny, you called me your brother when I was at your house this summer, but I don't live with you, Prongs," Remus quipped behind his book.

"Well, you know, it's different, right?" James shrugged.

"How?" Remus inquired, his eyes meeting James across the small space. James tried to look at Sirius for help, but he just unhelpfully raised his own eyebrows, goading the boy on.

"Ya, Prongs, how is it different from the rest of the Marauders?" Peter asked, a little bit more seriously than Remus had.

"Well it's just—"" James was cut off from responding when Mary Mcdonald slammed open the compartment door, making all eyes turn toward her.

"You'll want to see this. There's a fight in the second car," Mary rushed out before turning her eyes to Sirius. "Regulus started it."

The four boys looked at each other before Sirius reluctantly stretched and stood up.