𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢. is he dead?

EVERYWHERE,
EVERYTHING

ACT THREE: HOLD BACK THE RIVER

xxxvi. is he dead?

PERCY WOULDN'T SAY he was necessarily losing his mind since he watched Mitchell basically commit suicide trying to save him, but he definitely wasn't fully sane anymore

Camp half-blood was covered in a thick layer of snow. Frost covered the chariot track, strawberry fields, training arena and forest. The cabins each flickered with tiny fairy lights, or more balls of real fire. A fire glimmered in the attic of the Big House where the mummified body of the spirit of Delphi dwelt.

Percy didn't want to be dragged back into camp. He wanted to be out in the world, searching every inch of the earth to find Mitchell and wrap him up in blankets, but apparently he wasn't allowed to do that.

Nico hopped out of the bus provided by Apollo. "Whoa," He spun a three-sixty, almost losing his footing since the ground was slippery. "Is that a climbing wall?"

Percy took a deep breath, controlling himself from blowing up. "Yeah."

"Why is there lava pouring down it?"

"Little extra challenge. Come on. I'll introduce you to Chiron. Zoë, have you met—"

"I know Chiron," Zoë, the girl who had the circlet, said stiffly. "Tell him we will be in Cabin Eight. Hunters, follow me."

"I'll show you the way," Grover offered.

"We know the way."

"Oh, really, it's no trouble. It's easy to get lost here, if you don't—" He tripped over a canoe and came up still talking "—like my old daddy goat used to say! Come on!"

Zoë rolled her eyes, but she figured there was no getting rid of Grover. The Hunters shouldered their packs and their bows and headed off towards the cabins. As Bianca di Angelo was leaving, she leaned over and whispered something in her brother's ear. She looked at him for an answer, but Nico just scowled and turned away.

"Take care, sweethearts!" Apollo called after the Hunters. He winked at Percy. "Watch out for those prophecies, Percy. I'll see you soon."

"What do you mean?" Percy asked.

Instead of answering, Apollo hopped back in the bus. "Later, Thalia," he called. "And, uh, be good!" He gave Percy one final look. "You'll find him, Percy. I hope so, anyway."

Apollo was about to tell him more but thunder stopped him. He yelled at the sky and closed the doors, revving the engine. Everyone turned aside as the sun chariot took offin a blast of heat. When they looked back, the lake was steaming. A red Maseratisoared over the woods, glowing brighter and climbing higher until it disappearedin a ray of sunlight.