1.

Delhi

The hot sun of April-May was creating its impact on residence of the state Delhi. In spite of it people were working to feed their family and some were walking back home for their lunch.

In a very narrow lane where the houses were connected and in it there was a house which was hell silent and only two people could be heard speaking.

"Dekhiye Mr. Sahni, apki bacchi bahut accha padhti hai. Abhi toh uske 84% aaye barvi (12th) mein and main guarantee deti hun ki college mein bhi woh top karegi." Nandini's teacher spoke to her father to convince that Nandini should take up the further studies.

"Kya fayda madam isko padhaneka? Aage jake toh ghar hi sambhalna hai. 1 sal air rukenge aur iski shadi kara denge hum. Mera bada beta hai woh toh abhi college mein hai aur Nandini par paisa kharch karnse aacha hai ki main apne bete pe karun atleast woh hume budhape mein sambhal lega."

Nandini who was hiding and listening their conversation felt hurt. She looked at her mother who didn't bother to fight for her. She sighed and went back to kitchen to work on making lunch.

"Aur uski shadi mein dahej bhi dena hai uske liye hum paise bacha ke rakhe."

"Aap wahi paise Nandini ke shiksha (education) pe laga dijiye na. Aur dahej bhi kanuni taur galat hai. Aap atleast uske future ke baare mein sochiye." Her father was fed up with the conversation and only way to get rid was saying yes as of now.

"Sochte hai. Dhanyavaad." He joined his hands in front of the teacher and she came to know it was of no use. Nodding her head she took her stuff and moved out of the house feeling bad for her dear student.

Nandini's father looked at his wife and gestured her to follow him.

"Main Rama ( his sister) ko call karke humari Nandini ke liye ek accha rishta dhudne ko bolta hun. Aur is baat ko Nandini ke dimag mein daal dena ki uski shadi jald hogi."

"Lekin woh abhi bhi bacchi hai. Ek-do saal ruk jaate hain na." His wife muttered making him glare at him.

"Chup raho. Agar ise ghar mein rakha toh yeh aaj jo hua hai ghar voh har din hoga. Isse accha hai ki uski shadi ho jaye." She nodded and went from there to serve the lunch where as her dear husband moved out to reach the phonebooth.

"Nandini, yeh papad tal le, papa aate hi honge." She nodded and went into the kitchen and soon her mother followed her.

"Maa, kya sacchi mein mujhe padhai karne ko nahi milegi?" She asked her nervously where as her mother sighed.

"Beta, bhool jao padhai. Ab jald tumhari shadi hogi aur vaise bhi padhai karke kya karogi tum? Ghar hi sambhalna hai. Abhi jao kaam karo."

Nandini looked at her mother's figure going away. Her dream of being a teacher could be seen as fading away. She always questioned why only her brother hot the chance to study further when she completed her 10th std and after lot's of argument she managed to join the higher secondary. But now? She can't even voice out her opinion knowing very well the consequences.

Later (Dusk)

Nandini was sitting down folding the clothes when her brother entered the house.

"Nandini, jaa pani laa." Her brother Akshit said making her frown.

"Bhai aap jao na. Main already ek kaam rahi hun." As soon as she said her mother stared at her in anger.

"Nandini, jao." She looked down and went to get water for her brother.

"Ek toh late aaye. College vaise bhi 3 baje khatam hota aur maharaj ab aaye hain." She muttered the words and gave the water to her brother. Soon her father also came that reminded her the scenario that took place today.

After the dinner they all went to sleep. Her father and brother shared room and Nandini and mother slept in the Hall. They had 1bhk house which was not too big not too small.

As she layed down she wondered would her life change? Would she even get a chance to study further? Or would she be tied with the responsibilities? Couldn't she just escape from this patriarchy?

Sighing she closed her eyes and let the sleep consume.

UP (Uttar Pradesh)

A family staying in a chawl was having their dinner along with few conversation about here and there.

"Rinku, kal mujhe jaldi utha dena jaldi jana hai kaam par." The eldest son of the house spoke making his sister nod her head.

"Bhaiya woh aap kabtak aaoge ghar? Kal school ka result hai madam ne bulaya hai." Anant who is the youngest in the house studying in 5th std asked the eldest son i.e. Manik.

"Aa jaunga school par, barah baje se pehle nahi. Bahut kaam hai." Manik said and took a sip of water and washed his hand in the plate itself.

Around 9:30 Rinku went to his brother's room to talk to him. She knocked on the door and entered to see him reading a newspaper.

"Bhaiya yeh bhi koi vakt hai paper padhne ka." Manik chuckled and kept it aside.

"Aaja, kya baat karni hai."

"Aapko kaise pata ki mujhe aapse baat karni hai." Manik smiled made some space for her to sit.

"Acchi tarah se janta hun tujhe. Ab bol."

Manik frowned a bit seeing her hesitating but still kept quiet. She took a deep breath and said

"Bhaiya, mumma aur papa ki death ko almost 3 saal hone aaye hai aur ghar ki sari zimmedaari aap par aa chuki hai. Main bhi ek do hafto main chali jaungi vapis aur uske baad mein aapki aur Anant ko chinta hogi. I don't want you both to suffer."

"Ek minute, saaf saaf bata kehna kya chahti ho."

"Bhaiya, you need a life partner. In simple words aap shadi karlo." As soon she said Manik gave her a look.

"Pagal ho gayi ho kya? Shadi aur main? Not happening!"

"But bhaiya think about Anant, usko zarurat hai maa ki. At least someone should be there in the house jo use motherly affection de."

Tum ho na, toh uski zarurat nahi hai." He said moving towards the window.

"Bhaiya, agar meri shadi nahi huyi hoti na toh shayad main sambhal leti. Lekin it's not possible. You need someone and does Anant. Try to understand na, kal toh agar Anant ko kuch ho jaye jab hume honge ghar tab kya karenge? Kabhi socha hai? Kab tak aise rahoge aap?"

"Rinku, main shadi kisi ke sath as a need nahi karna chahta. Aur main taiyar nahi hun shadi ke liye." He said trying to close the topic.

"Bhaiya, aapko main bata rahi hun agar aap shadi nahi karoge toh main kabhi bhi apna muh nahi dikhaungi, kabhi bhi aapko contact nahi karungi. Aur toh agar kal kuch ho jaye mujhse mat kehna." Saying so she left his room making him sigh.

Manik's Pov

Shayad maine Rinku ki shadi roki hoti toh woh aaj humare sath hoti. But parents being parents let her got married at a very young age. Can anyone believe that she got married at the age of 16? I wish was strong enough to fight for her. Kaun kahega ki she is now 22 years old. She is younger than me yet she is ready to give me lectures.

Ma-papa met with an accident and they couldn't survive and I being the eldest had to take up the responsibility. Though we have relatives but they are of no use. One thing I had decided to not to get married but this idiot sister have threatened me.

The reason I don't want get married is that, I don't want anyone to be burden with my family. There are no females in the house, even if decide to get married she will have to adjust with my timing and my brother's. He is a kid and handling him sometimes becomes hectic. And I hope this idiot sister of mine decides to leave this topic soon.

Leave your views guys.

Education is a must despite of any gender. However the circumstances may not favour you but that doesn't mean the education must be overlooked.

This period is little old may be our parents time. Hope you guys understand.