Chapter 15: Pink Barbie Car

I can't believe how rude Jade was. Ughh. I don't know how I'm going to get home since they were my ride. I guess I have to walk.

I walk through the mechanical glass door of the mall and begin to walk home. It's just a couple of miles.

  ___ It was going pretty well. I've already walked four miles and I finished my drink a long time ago. But I'm hungry and tired. I look at the speeding cars, wishing I was in one with an AC.

That's when I realized that I have a phone. I'm stupid. I grab it out of my pocket and dial my mom's number, but since I have horrible luck it goes straight to voicemail.Why does she have a phone if she never answers it!?

I scroll down my contacts and force myself to call Julie. The contact picture of her grinning face already annoys me.

It rings for a few seconds and then a voice says, "Hey girl! What is up? We haven't talked in years! Do you need anything?" I frown at the sound of her loud high-pitched voice.

 I sigh and answer, "Yeah. Can you give me a lift."

She quickly answers, "Of course I will! Just tell me where you're at and I'll be on my way!"

"I'm about three miles from the mall near a Home Depot store," I answer, hoping she won't ask why.

"KK! I'll totally see you there in about fifteen!"She hangs up on me before I can answer her. Good thing she didn't ask. It would have been a long phone call.

 I've known Julie since seventh grade.  She's very kind and optimistic. It's just that her voice is loud and she always wants to hang out and do stuff. I haven't talked to her in a year and a couple of months. I try my best to avoid her.

Being honest, she's okay, I guess. Although, she can't keep a secret and always talks and will barely listen to a word you say. She's a chatterbox, as my mom calls it. But in my words, she's a loud mouth and those types of people are fun...just not her.

 She's something else.In early eighth grade I had a crush on a new kid in our history class called Nathan. I told Julie and she giggled loud and told me he was ugly. I told her that I didn't care; he was nice and not arrogant like the other guys. Then she told everybody in class, except Nathan. But it didn't take long for him to now.

So after that situation I didn't trust her. It was a dumb childhood story, I know. But what if it was something much more important? I would have been so screwed.

Anyways, Nathan later asked me if I liked him and I said 'No I don't, like as if I was accused for a horrible crime. He just smiled and left. I blushed so much he must have seen right through me. Then puberty hit him later that year and he got hot and arrogant. His ego is so big now that he hits on every girl he lies eyes on. Sometimes I pass by him in the halls and he says 'hey' and licks his lips. He probably still thinks I like him. I just roll my eyes and ignore him.