Chapter 13: What's New at School?

"I can explain everything!"

"Danice, this is your third and last strike. Here is this paper," he hands me a paper with a bunch of words that I really don't want to read.

I grab the paper and say, "This is for me?"

"No. I want your mother to read it and sign it. You have to return it tomorrow."

"I said I'm sorry."

"Yes, but I gave you a chance. You may return in a week, when you aren't suspended."

"Okay. Well, bye," I say running out of the office.

Jade's sitting there on a bench outside. I sit next to her and she looks at me, with really angry eyes that want to shoot you in the brain.

"I'm sorry Jade."

"It's okay. Thanks for saying it was all your fault, but I helped too. You shouldn't have gotten all the blame for it!"

"I don't care."

"What about your mom," she says raising her eyebrow.

"Don't tell her please! I don't want her to know yet...or probably ever. I'll say what I can do."

"Okay."

I hug her good-bye and walk home. I don't want to use my skateboard.

_One Week Later_

It's Tuesday morning. This whole week I pretended to be sick and whenever my mom wanted to take me to the doctor I would reason her to go to work.

The day I had to turn in the note I gave it to Jade and asked her to tell the principal I was sick, she kindly did it. But I feel horrible for lying to my mom. Then again, she would kill me if she found out what I did.

Jade's been giving me my homework and tutoring me with a few subjects.

After brushing my teeth and taking a shower I change into a blue shirt that says, Can You. Not. I saw it a few weeks ago and I thought, it's so me.

I look in my closet and decide to put on a pair of blue pants and my galaxy converse with black socks. I was about to close my closet but that's when I see them, the pair of converse Alex gave me. I still love him. But there's so much anger boiling inside of me.

I close my closet in anger. He deserved those water balloons.

_Flashback_

"Danice, this is a bad idea."

"Just listen to me," I say trying to put sense in this girl!

"Okay."

"You give him a note saying you will tell him if I 'LOVE' Braxton. But then say he has to get it from your locker!"

"Then what do I do? Give him a note that says a simple word that will hurt his feelings: Yes."

"No."

"You want me to write no? That's a dumb idea."

"No."

"So I write no?"

"Don't write anything!  I want to put water balloons in his locker so when he opens it....splash! He's wet."