THE VIDEOTAPES || CHAPTER 6

I encouraged April to walk with me toward my apartment. You could see that she planned something; her eyes looked a bit too excited. It took a bit of time for me. I struggled with my injured knee and had to take a couple of breaks during the walk. I climbed down the fire escape stairs and got to my apartment through the apartment block fire escape stairs.

'Because brilliant me didn't bring my apartment keys with me.' I thought to myself sarcastically. I did not plan to lock myself out; the only access was now through my bedroom window.

We started making small talk. I found out she is one of the reporters at Channel 6 News and that she is trying to make her mark as a top-notch reporter with a major story. She mumbled the whole time about 'no more froth and foam for me'.

"Where did you get that from? The foam and froth thing?" I questioned her and laughed a bit.

"Agh, no, my cameraman, Vern Fenwick. He said that to me." April answered me and started to give me a whole explanation of what that froth and foam crap meant.

"Haha, he sounds like a huge ass nerd," I blurted out before thinking. April was slightly amused by my comment.

We climbed through my bedroom window. Then we went into the kitchen. I went to the fridge and handed her a soda. I got myself one as well.

I stumbled to the bathroom and got the knee brace out. After I carefully sorted myself out by removing the bandages, I changed into a pair of black denim shorts to make wearing the knee brace easier.

If anyone knew me well enough, I am a major klutz. I have enough stories of accidents that each part of my body can tell a story. We always keep emergency supplies because I am so accident-prone.

April observed everything around me; she saw the mess of boxes everywhere that hadn't been unpacked yet and the turned-over photo frames on the tables. You could see she wanted to ask about the photo frames, but she bit her lip. Keeping that question to herself.

"So, are you new to New York?" April asked curiously. You could see that she was a bit curious to know where I fit into this gigantic puzzle.

"Yes. My Dad, my sister and I moved to New York two weeks ago." I bit my lower lip again. I don't want to scare this woman away with my story. My social skills also need some work.

"Um, before we continue, I need to get my art supplies back down here. They are on the roof." I pointed toward the ceiling. I gave a slight smile, as I didn't want to bother April too much. I tend to be awkward around people.

"I will help you," April answered politely.

"Thank you," I said softly. I'm not used to people being nice to me. People tend to avoid me. Me being goth and all.

After climbing the fire escape stairs with April behind me to make sure I didn't stumble too much, we made it to the roof.

I started to pack up my art supplies. April noticed my painting on the easel.

"This is very good. But how did you know about the turtles before tonight?" she asked. 'Most definitely the reporter's blood running through her,' I thought to myself.

"Um, thanks for the compliment. When my family and I moved in, I was in my room, looking out the window. After the lightning bolt, I saw, for a split second, four silhouettes jumping from roof to roof. I couldn't remember exactly what they looked like. I just remembered the colors. blue, red, orange and purple. I tried to paint them and tried to think like my favorite artist, Salvador Dali. He is like the master of surrealism. Mixing realism and fantasy into one," I answered her. This is probably the longest conversation I had going on with a person.