𖹭 prequel 𖹭

UNEDITED.

"Secrets I have held in my heart
Are harder to hide than I thought
Maybe I just wanna be yours
I wanna be yours, I wanna be yours"

"Secrets I have held in my heartAre harder to hide than I thoughtMaybe I just wanna be yoursI wanna be yours, I wanna be yours"

- Third person's point of view

[Grade 10, a day before autumn break]

This was no news for Nobita, after every six months or a semester the school posted a student rank list on the school notice board and there he was, once again, at the bottom. He sighed stuffing his report card in his bag.

"Are you okay?"

He looked back, it was Dekisugi.

His mortal enemy.

To be fair, Dekisugi was never mean to Nobita, in fact, he was even nice to some extent. But the fact that Dekisugi and Shizuka were close with each other was enough for Nobita to be jealous and despise him.

He looked to his front again and on top of the list.

GRADE 10
1: Hidetoshi Dekisugi
2: Shizuka Minamoto
3: Tachibana
4: Suneo Honekawa
5..

"You're first again, congratulations."

He said with a smile on his face, but it didn't last long, and Dekisugi wasn't oblivious to that.

"It's late, why are you still here? You should head home."

"I can't. I have to clean the classroom."

It wasn't Nobita's turn to clean the classroom. He looked at his feet in agony but who was he to fight Gian and disobey his words.

"Is that what's been bothering you? Come on, I'll help you."

Dekisugi smiled.

And for a moment Nobita might have thought that he looked good.

Maybe that's why Shizuka likes him.

"Why would you do that?"

There was no answer from Dekisugi, he already started walking towards the classroom before Nobita could protest.

It was windy, the curtains flew hanging on the rod while both the boys cleaned the room in silence.

Nobita had a lot to process. This wasn't the first time but he could never really get used to his failing grades.

Everytime he was handed over his answer sheet, it felt like he was sucked into a hole and all his insecurities flashed in front of his eyes.

The worst part was, even though he wanted to improve, he knew he would forget about this as soon as he reads his favorite comic and gets a good nap.

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

Nobita regretted asking that question. He didn't know how to finish.

"Nothing."

"It's just, you are so perfect."

"You are too."

That made Nobita look up, he froze. In his mind, he was far from being perfect. Hell, he could be used to describe the opposite of perfect.

Dekisugi sat down on a chair near Nobita.

"Is this about the midterm result?" He asked.

Nobita nodded nonchalantly. Dekisugi sighed and walked over to the window, Nobita simply followed him and looked out.

Nobita looked towards the sky. He noticed the moving clouds and their shapes. The wind felt nice on his face.

"You're thinking about the clouds, aren't you?"

Dekisugi stated as he crossed his arms leaning on the window frame and looked straight at Nobita.

"How did you know?" Nobita asked.

Oh no, he smiled again.

"Because I know you, Nobita."

Dekisugi said and paused for a while as he looked out of the window again.

"You're not like the others. You don't live in your head, you care for what's there, you really, actually, live. And that's not easy. Whether it's observing the clouds or greeting the ants and plants you see in your way. These silly things make you special, or even, perfect to some."

Nobita said nothing. The long silence felt daunting to Dekisugi, maybe he said too much. He was flustered, he needed to get out.

"Well, I have to get to my academy so-"

"Yeah, it's okay" Nobita said in a low voice.

Dekisugi wasted no time picking up his bag and exiting the classroom.

Nobita's knees felt weak, he soon crashed onto the floor and placed his hand on his chest.

My heart, why is it beating so fast?

Author's Note
Hello! Thank you so much for reading the prequel to IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU. I hope I was able to convey emotions properly and you all had a good time reading it.
Also, it's my first book so feel free to leave any constructive criticism!
Stay healthy, byee~