Chapter Thirteen

Lalisa

"Tell me, Jen, is that what you want to hear?" I asked. I want to know why she's acting like this. I need to know if I'm assuming things again— because I'm so tired making guesses.

I'm tired of assuming things and getting myself hurt all over again.

"W-What do you mean?" It amuses me how she was this angry, dominant woman earlier but now that I'm questioning her intention, she's acting like a petulant feeble damsel. She look confused, but more than that, I can see fear and frustration.

She's affected. It's as clear as day, but for what reason? That, I still don't know.

Stepping forward, I leaned down as I stared straight into her cat brown eyes.

"Answer me, Ruby Jane. Why are you acting like this?" I recognize the deepness of my tone as I husk out my question.

The woman in front of me gulps as she stared intently into my own brown eyes. Confusion and question clouded her gaze and as it slowly transition into something I couldn't recognize, I found myself mesmerized yet again by the sight.

But then she gulped. As if erasing her thoughts she shook her head before answering.

"You heard my parents Lisa-ah. They asked me to look after you."

And then she looks away. I was staring at her for a few minutes before her words sink into my head.

"Of course. That's what it was."

"What do you mean?"

She's confused and frustrated. I'm determined and seeking for answer. We both have our own twisted desire, yet no one raises their flags, white.

I'm done playing this game with her. I'm done interpreting her actions and getting disappointed at every misconceptions. So if it's really what she wants, then so be it.

I'm done.

"So... You're saying that you dragged me away from Irene because of what your parents ask you to do? Is that it?" I ask with a defeated tone as she looks at me with confusion.

"Yes Lisa, that's what it is."

I tightly close my eyes hearing her words. It wasn't really like I thought it was. How pathetic. I had to take a deep breath. Because even though I'm telling myself that it's all fine, that I'm fine and the pain is not torturing me— at the end of the day, it's all a lie.

I'm merely gaslighting myself into thinking that because I can't accept the fact that Jennie Kim doesn't feel the same way I do.

I can't accept the fact that she's way beyond my league. And that I'm forever just a friend to her dictionary.

Fuck. Reality hurts.

"I have to go. I need to go." I answered, backing away from her. I feel her eyes search mine but I refuse to meet hers. I can't.

"Will you go back to Irene?" She asks when I was about to go out of the room.

With the last strew of my strength, I smile. A small painful one.

"I won't, Jen. At least not today." I answered. I was nearing the door when her voice stopped me again with yet another question.

"Will I be seeing you later?" Her voice sounds vulnerable and once again, it scares me how much she could mess with my entire system.

"I did agree. So yeah," I turn to face her and the way she's looking at me so much hope, "I'm coming Jen." I couldn't help tightly closing my fist. Turning around, afraid of what I can do if I remain standing by, I left without hearing her reply.