Chapter 1

I

And I was runnin' far away, would I run off the world someday?

☆And I was runnin' far away, would I run off the world someday?☆

Jupiter hated running. At her house, she never did it, not even in the woods next to her house. She hated feeling the sweat dampen her clothes, with her throat burning after just breathing, and her feet hurt by minutes of dying in the arms of the wind. Too bad that many times she didn’t have a choice. You just have to run. And that was exactly what Jupiter was doing.

It had been a special day, it was summer, so she didn't go to school. Most of her days were spent reading or hanging out in the woods near her house.

Once, after her parents died, she explored it thoroughly. To Jupiter, nature was the only thing worth her time, so she was excited to go into the unknown woods of her house. Mostly kids with friends didn’t have the joy of doing such a thing, but she didn’t have friends. That day she found an abandoned wooden house in the center of the forest, thirty minutes from her house. To her, it was home.

She lived with her aunt since she was eight. But that house didn’t become a home. The two of them didn't talk much, the only phrases that her aunt said to her were: «Straight back», «don't curse», and «don't be rude, nobody likes rude girls». Her aunt was a beautiful woman, with red curly hair and green eyes, something that confused Jupiter as she had blue eyes and black hair. The woman was tall with perfect manners, and the little girl couldn’t compete with that. So she hid most of her time under the bed, where she couldn’t be seen. Her aunt didn’t scare her, but she was beautifully terrifying.  

So she was alone in that house, with no friends and no family.

As she went often into the forest, it was common for her to meet animals. She would encounter some deer and some crows, and since she had no one to talk to, she ended up talking to them.  But they didn't understand anything, they looked at her with their innocent, insipid eyes. But simple things didn’t entertain her, so she kept talking to them until it was so normal to her, that she didn’t feel the shame burning in her heart at the thought of her with only animals as friends.

But that day changed everything.

Jupiter was reading the Harry Potter series as usual, she was sitting in the branches of a tree, with the sunlight filtering through the wooden branches. Somewhere she had read that this action was called Komorebi, and that was everything. She could taste that moment on her tongue, and it tasted like heaven. Now and then she stared at the sun's rays, and now and then she read her book. Most of the days it rained, and she loved staring at the grass being violently hit by the rain, like a person who is abused by her life. Something about that was familiar, that feeling.