Chapter 2

Aurora slowly opened her eyes. The first thing she noticed was just how light she felt. The weight bearing down on her chest was gone. Then she realized that she didn't hurt anywhere.

She sat up and looked down at her hands. She felt incredible! The scars from all the IVs have disappeared, too.

Then she looked around at the room around her. It was a spacious bedroom, but there weren't any windows. The walls and floors were made of metal, with plush rugs covering the floor. The lighting was soft and the space was sparcely decorated.

The door mechanically opened suddenly, causing Aurora to jump. A human woman entered.

"Oh!" She gasped when she saw Aurora. "You're awake! How are you feeling?"

Aurora smiled timidly at the woman.

She blinked her blue eyes in confusion. Then, understanding flashed across her face. "Wait, you're mute! I forgot. I'm sorry." She turned to the side and picked up her small white board that rested on a table and handed it to Aurora.

"My name is Sarah. I moved in with the izinacs about two years ago. I'm your counselor on this ship. I've been stationed on the Migith since then. That's where we are now. The ship is taking off tomorrow. I'm glad you woke up before we left!"

Aurora glanced around nervously.

"They were able to fully heal your illness. Apparently, you didn't have much time left if they hadn't stepped in. I can assure you that you made the right choice." Sarah smiled genuinely. "Are you hungry? I can let you wash up and we can go to the dining hall."

Aurora nodded. A shower and food is exactly what she needed.

"Perfect. This door leads to your shower and this door leads to your living space. I'll be sitting out there waiting for when you're done. Clothes are there. I gave you some of mine since you didn't have anything with you other than the hospital gown. Although you are smaller than me, it's better than nothing. When we get to Niea, you can buy more with the allowance they'll provide. Towels are there. Call me if you need anything. Or... bang on the walls really loud." She pointed around the room as she spoke, showing her everything.

After her shower, she dressed and was taken to the dining hall. Sarah showed her where to get food. She could even request meals occasionally. They were serving some izinac dishes that Aurora had never heard of before. Sarah patiently described everything to her.

"Oh, my two bonded are sitting over there. Come, let me introduce you." Sarah guided a nervous Aurora to the table.

Eyes were on her. In fact, she had felt the weight of many gazes since she first walked in. Aurora ducked her head to hide her face.

"This is Ildrir and Ocros. Both izinacs." Sarah introduced. "Guys, this is Aurora. The newest addition to the IGU."

Aurora nodded in greeting at the two.

"Welcome!" Ocros smiled broadly at her. "How have you been handling the change so far?"

"Are you excited to head to Niea?" Ildrir added.

Aurora smiled faintly.

"She doesn't speak, remember?" Sarah rolled her eyes.

Aurora looked to Sarah inquisitively.

"What is it? You can ask anything." Sarah spoke gently.

Aurora hesitated, then tapped her temple twice, then pointed at Sarah then her bonded.

Sarah tilted her head. "Are you asking what I think of them?"

Aurora shook her head. She pulled out her white board and was about to write her question when Ildrir spoke.