Nine

I lay with my head resting on his chest. We'd gone multiple rounds until we collapsed on the bed, tired and spent. Neither of us wanted to move an inch, afraid that we would lose this moment, this intimacy. But, his phone rang, ruining it.

"If you don't answer, they'll just call again," I reminded him. He groaned and I smiled, patting his chest.

Reluctantly, he rolled over, reaching for his phone. While he conversed over the phone, I went to the bathroom. Mother Nature was calling and refused to take 'no' for an answer. By the time I finished, he was sitting at the edge of the bed, frowning down at his phone.

"Something wrong?" I inquired, placing my hand on his shoulder. He shook his head. "My family has invited us for dinner."

My facial expression must have revealed shock and an unwillingness to meet them because he quickly added, "You don't have to come if you don't want to."

"No, it's fine," I clarified. "When?"

He grimaced and my stomach churned slightly., anticipating a response I wouldn't like. "Now. There's clothes in the closet."

My eyes bulged and I rushed to the closet, throwing together a decent 'meet-the-family' outfit.

"You might want to bring an extra set," Xavier called out.

"Dare I ask why?"

Silence. Then, "Better to be safe than sorry," he replied hesitantly.What does that even mean?I thought, rifling for another decent outfit. With the outfit packed away, I quickly showered and dressed.

An hour later, we arrived at his family's house, another mansion except their land housed more than the main mansion. There were a couple of smaller buildings scattered about, and kids ran along the stone paths.

At the door, a little lady in a maid uniform nodded to Xavier and stepped aside to let us in. As I passed her, she shot me a curious glance before ducking her head and walking away without a word.Okay, then. That's not strange. What's even stranger is that it's quiet, like dead silent. Where's the noise from the dinner occupants? Where's the music? Where are the people?

"It's quiet here. Where is everyone?" I commented. Xavier looked around us and changed course. I followed him into a gym similar to the one at his house. Six teens were gathered here,two females and four males.A blonde female tightened her ponytail, pulling her wavy tresses higher as she bounced on her feet, eager to jump in. Raphael, Marco, and another blond male were standing around, watchingan ash-brown brunette and a slim, slightly muscular brunet spar.

Raphael is the first to notice us. "Hey, Xavier. Hey, Nikki."

The other teens whip their heads our way, intrigued by our presence. The male sparring stumbled and taking advantage, his opponent struck, pinning him to the mat.

"What? Why didn't anyone tell me she was coming? I would've freshened up," Marco panicked. He covered his face with his hand. "My future
wife can't see me like this."

"Dude, she is very clearly taken," Raphael emphasized. Marco snorted. "She's just wearing it while he's here."

I bit back a smile. These two were interesting. I wondered if they were always like this. If so, there was never a dull moment around here.
"When he kicks your ass, don't expect me to save you," Raphael warned.

"Oh, please. I can take him," Marco boasted. The other female snorted. "Marco, you fought to untangle yourself from your sheets this morning and lost. I'm pretty sure Xavier's going to beat you."

"Shut up, Stella! Don't listen to her, Nikki. It's not true!" Marco denied. "I can take Xavier blindfolded and with one hand tied behind my back."

The teens scoffed and the brown-haired female mouthed 'No, he can't' behind his back as she joined the conversation.