╰┈➤ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

𝚂𝚎𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟶𝚝𝚑, 𝟸𝟶𝟶𝟺

𝙹𝚞𝚍𝚎

It had been a week since the incident, and I hadn't crossed paths with either of the boys. Yet, they persisted in occupying our spot at the cafeteria.

They were odd.

Rumours circulated around the school, speculating about their origins and intentions. Some said they were troublemakers, others whispered about their troubled pasts. But one thing was for sure—they kept to themselves, rarely speaking unless absolutely necessary. They barely spoke at all, not even to each other, unless absolutely necessary.

I didn't pay much mind to it, but Maya had been going on all week about all the possible theories of who they could be.

"Maybe they're wizards? Like, you know, the ones in Harry Potter?", Maya suggested, a playful glint in her eye as she entertained the idea.

"Mhmm, yeah, that would make total sense", I chimed in, with a tone filled with mock seriousness.

Emma rolled her eyes. "They're probably just having a hard time adjusting to moving to another school, guys. Isn't he in your English class too, Maya? You said it was their first time going to an actual school. Maybe they're just having trouble with that?"

"Yeah, Mr. Nellan did say they were homeschooled before this. Though I still like my theory better", Maya smiled, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

I would often catch them sneaking glances at me during lunch, especially him—the jerk with a name straight out of Greek mythology, Atlas.

I  found out all their names, courtesy of Maya, who somehow had stalked them and figured it out. The blond's name was Tommy, and the guy with the piercing was Reuben.

Apparently, they were all brothers.

I didn't buy it, but I couldn't care less.

__________________________

Though everything else may've been chaotic, there was a glimmer of hope in the air. Today marked the long-awaited reorganization day, the one day out of the year when this chummy school managed to get something right.

It was finally my chance to break free from the monotony, to change up the routine, and to at last have a say in my dreadful schedule.

Today, I would be placed in the classes I actually wanted, and, with any luck, I'd be reunited with my friends.

And nothing

And I mean it...absolutely nothing would stand in my way.

"Jude!", mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"What?", I call down. I continued straightening my hair with my cheetah-printed straightening iron. It was one of the best in the market. Maya and Emma would always ask to borrow whenever they were over.

No answer.

"What?" I repeat, louder this time, frustration simmering beneath the surface. The stereo blasted music, and I couldn't resist joining in, singing along to the tunes.

Still no answer.

The door bursts open, and in strides Sasha, with an air of authority that she always carries.

"If you'd turn your crappy music off for once, maybe you'd hear Mom calling you", she scolds, moving across the room to shut off the blaring stereo.

"HEY. I can still hear her with the music on". I retort, frustration lacing my words, as I go to stop her. I glare at her when I notice...