Chapter 32: Transparency

The arena was bathed in the dim light of the setting sun, casting long shadows across the broken remnants of the palace. Edith stood at one end, her ceremonial blade gleaming in the fading light, while Valentin, the president, stood at the other, his eyes narrowed with malice.

The air crackled with tension as they circled each other, each waiting for the other to make the first move. Then, with a sudden burst of speed, Valentin lunged forward, his blade flashing in the air. Edith barely had time to react, parrying his strike with a swift movement of her own blade.

Their swords clashed again and again, the sound of metal ringing out across the deserted courtyard. Edith fought with all her strength, her mind focused on one thing – bringing down the corrupt leader who had brought so much suffering to her people.

But Valentin was a skilled fighter, his movements fluid and precise. He pressed his advantage, driving Edith back with each strike. She felt the sting of his blade as it sliced through her defenses, leaving shallow cuts on her arms and shoulders.

Pain flared through Edith's body, but she refused to falter. She gritted her teeth against the agony, her determination fueling her every move. With a fierce cry, she launched herself at Valentin, her blade slashing through the air with deadly accuracy.

For a moment, it seemed as though she might gain the upper hand, but then Valentin countered with a swift kick to her stomach, sending her crashing to the ground. Edith gasped for breath, her vision swimming as she struggled to rise.

Valentin loomed over her, his sword raised high, ready to deliver the final blow. But then, amidst the haze of pain and exhaustion, Edith heard a familiar voice calling out to her.

"Fight Edith! Fight!" Zain's voice echoed in her ears, followed by the cries of her other teammates.

With renewed determination, Edith forced herself to her feet, her muscles screaming with effort. She locked eyes with Valentin, her gaze filled with defiance.

"You will not defeat me," she growled, her voice filled with venom.

She launched herself at Valentin once more, her blade slicing through the air with deadly precision. Their swords clashed with a resounding clang, each strike fuelled by the weight of their shared history and the countless lives lost in their struggle for power.

For what felt like an eternity, they fought on, the world around them fading away until there was only the sound of their blades ringing out in the silence. And then, in a moment of clarity, Edith saw her chance.

With a swift movement, she disarmed Valentin, sending his blade clattering to the ground. She stood over him, her sword poised at his throat, victory within her grasp.

As Edith stood over Valentin, her blade poised at his throat, doubt gnawed at her insides. She felt the weight of the sword in her hand, the cold metal a stark reminder of the choice she was about to make. She didn't want to kill anyone; she didn't want that blood on her hands.

Images flashed before her eyes – the faces of her fallen comrades, the innocent lives lost in the wake of Valentin's tyranny. She had fought so hard, sacrificed so much, to bring justice to her people. But now, faced with the opportunity to end it all, she hesitated.

With a cruel smile, he lunged forward, his own blade finding its mark. Pain exploded through Edith's chest as the sword pierced her flesh, sending shockwaves of agony radiating through her body.

No! This is not what she had fought for, she’s studied, she’s fought and now she was going to kill. For the idea, the semblance of her nation, she now had to build. With a scream of agony, anger, hatred, she took her last ounce of strength and took her blade, slicing it across Valentin’s throat.