03 ― the natural.

❝ what's with the tiny child? ❞

what's with the tiny child?

VINCENT'S TRAINING HAD OFFICIALLY BEGUN.

He stood in Miyagi-Do alongside Demetri, staring at the fence in front of them. Daniel had just got done telling the two joys that he wanted them to paint the fence, an instruction that Vincent and Demetri were confused about. If he was being honest, he didn't understand what painting the fence had to do with karate.

But Robby had told him that Daniel's teaching methods paid off, so he figured there was an important lesson to be learned from such a simple and seemingly meaningless task.

"You want us to paint the whole fence?" Demetri asked, staring in disbelief. "That's like, 1,200 square feet."

"Uh, actually, times two," Daniel walked up behind the two boys. "You forgot about the other side."

Demetri groaned as he garaged the paintbrush Daniel handed him. He handed another one to Vincent.

"Oh, okay, I get it. You're teaching me muscle memory," Demetri spoke. "Do it a bunch of times, develop unconscious karate techniques. How about we just cut to the chase, and you show me the moves?"

Demetri placed his hand on Daniel's shoulder as he held the paintbrush out in front of him. Daniel didn't respond. He just shook his head and patted Demetri on the back before he started to walk away.

Demetri turned to Vincent. "And you're just okay with this? Painting an entire fence?"

Vincent shrugged. "It'll pay off. Robby and Sam went through the same thing."

Demetri sighed. "It better."

Vincent chuckled at him, shaking his head at the ground before looking back up at him. "So, how do you wanna do this? I could take one side and you could take the other."

"Sure," Demetri nodded.

Vincent nodded back. "All right then. Let's get started."

Vincent reached down to grab one of the cans of paint. With his paintbrush and the paint can in hand, he made his way to the richer side of the yard. He set the paint can down and dipped the brush in, beginning to paint just like Daniel had showed them to. He made sure to be precise with his hand movements, painting the fence up and down carefully.

Daniel walked up to him, stopping once he stood beside him. "Very good, Vincent. It's all in the wrist. Up, down. Make sure not to lock your knees. Try to bend them a little bit."

Vincent nodded his head, bending his knees as he was instructed to.

"There you go," Daniel told him. "And remember, small board, left hand. Big board, right hand."