1. The Meeting

31 October 2023

31 October 2023

The D-Day had come to The Princess. Nervous? Of course. That night, although without any celebrations, Leonor only slept for 4 hours. At midnight, she read some messages she had received.

!Feliz cumpleaños¡
!Muchas Felicidades¡
Happy Birthday!

Only one message, however, piqued her interest. A voice message, a male voice.

Hola!, I understand that this may disturb your sleep tonight. But this afternoon is going to be one of your most important days. I hope your first day as an 18-year-old goes perfectly. Feliz cumpleaños, querida Leonor!

Oh My God, Dios mio! Leonor was speechless. The sender was still online. Leonor did not know what was on her mind as she pressed the video call icon.

Rejected.

Her heart was beating so fast. She wanted to write, "Sorry, I did not mean to call you." But her brain and fingers were not in sync. She pressed the voice call icon.

"Hello, I mean Hola. What's the matter, Leonor?" That was the voice she had not heard for months.

"Gracias. Thank you for your wishes, Umberto. By the way, I apologize for accidentally video calling you. I pressed the wrong icon." Leonor bit her lower lip. Very embarrassed. Thank goodness Umberto did not see that.

"Okay, no problem. It is just my room. It is a complete mess. Of course, it is not like your palace, Princess.

"No. Mine is the same. By the way, why are you not sleeping now? It is 01.15 in London. Do not you have to work this morning? In Madrid, it is still 00.15."

"I will have to work. But I did fall asleep around 21.00 and slept for about 2 hours. How about you? Why are not you sleeping?" Of course it's a lie. Umberto was intentionally waiting for midnight (Madrid time) to send birthday wishes to Leonor.

"I am nervous. You know, right? Today will be a long day. I will get all of the attention. I am expected not to make a single mistake."

"It's gonna be OK. You will be a great leader, just like your father and grandfather."

"Well, as for my grandfather, it's problematic. Hmm."

"Well, your grandfather helped my grandfather when he was forced to flee Bulgaria. I might not have been born if it had not been for him."

"Hmm. OK. But, you could not attend my private birthday party, could you?" Leonor's voice had a hint of disappointment.

"I am really sorry. But my parents will come. And also my uncles, my aunt, my cousins. Unfortunately, Sofia, like me, was unable to attend. She is still in Paris."

"You know? It is funny that we both have sisters named Sofia. Hahaha" Leonor could not hold back her laughter.

"But MY Sofia was born earlier."