01 | The Missing Dream

40 BBY, Month 2

The dreams had stopped and it was then that Obi-Wan knew something was amiss

The dreams had stopped and it was then that Obi-Wan knew something was amiss. For the past fourteen years, Obi-Wan had dreams of his family back on Stewjon every night. It was as simple as seeing his parents wash the dinner dishes, tuck in his little brother and sister at bedtime, or even watch over the dark house in the night hours.

But last night there was nothing. Obi-Wan sat up quickly, beads of sweat trickling down his neck. Taking a deep breath, the sixteen-year-old rolled out of bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. A sickening feeling stuck to the bottom of his gut as he read the clock saying four in the morning.

It was already almost time to wake up and he did not even dream of his family once. Odd. Well, odd was hardly the word for it. Eerie was a much better word.

Dressing into his padawan robes, Obi-Wan went to the fresher to ready himself for the day. He knew his master, Qui-Gon Jinn, had special plans for the day. Even if it was his last day on Coruscant for a while.

Obi-Wan, anxious to do something to pass the last thirty minutes before training, headed out of his room. He made his way out to the courtyard to sit under the tree that overlooked the city. But it looked like someone already had a similar idea.

"Shaak Ti, what are you doing up so early?" he asked, plopping down beside the togruta.

She had her eyes closed, her back lekku swaying behind her. "I could ask the same of you, Kenobi." She opened one eye, peering up at him. "You usually aren't moving around until four thirty."

Obi-Wan flushed. "How do you know?"

Shaak Ti sighed, standing to her feet in one swift motion. "I usually return to my room around now and the fresher goes off really loudly at approximately thirty five past four."

Obi-Wan's lower lip stuck out in a pout. "And you are out here why?"

"To think on things," she said, absentmindedly readjusting her belt with her saber attached. It was always too big for her small frame. "I have dreams and I like to ponder on their meaning." Shaak Ti's gaze made its way to Obi-Wan. "I presume you are here for similar reasons?"

"The opposite actually," Obi-Wan sighed, leaning against the tree. "I came out here to wonder why I did not have a dream."

"I'm sure your family is alright—" Shaak Ti said, sitting down beside him as she pulled her knees to her chest. "Doesn't the Council keep an eye on our families?"

Obi-Wan shrugged. "I thought they stopped after five years."

"Well, if it makes you feel better you don't even know if your dreams are even real." Shaak Ti gave him a reassuring smile, leaning against her legs. "They could just be a coping mechanism for the lack of familial figures in our life."