20. Clare

One evening, as I was picking up the kids from school, I noticed that Mark Junior was also there. I wanted to leave but  it was unlike Clare to still have him at school that late.

“Is your mom coming to pick you up?” I asked

“She said she would,” He said.

“Okay, we’ll wait for her then,” We waited for about an hour, her phone was going through but she wasn't answering it. “Why don’t I take you all to my house so we can take a rest first? Then I’ll take you home because she’s not answering her phone. Is that okay?” I asked and he nodded.

The kids had made friends with him since people kept saying they were siblings. I bet the teachers had already gossiped about it. The boy looked like all of them except Matt especially since they all had Mark's eyes except Skylar who had mine.

It was late when we got home so they did their homework and had dinner. Claire’s phone was still going unanswered. I had to drive Junior back to their place. We knocked but no one answered.

“Have you seen the lady who lives here?” I asked the guy caretaker.

“I saw her in the morning but I haven’t seen her again,” I tried calling her and her phone rang from inside the house.

The caretaker who had spare keys to every house quickly opened the door and there she was lying on the floor. I called for an ambulance and asked the caretaker to stay with Junior.

“Could you go to Kifo cha Simba?” I told Mark after we got to the hospital.

“Now you want me to go there?”

“Go get Junior, I left him alone with the caretaker,”

“Why? What happened?”

“We found Claire unconscious in her apartment. The doctors are with her right now. Just get the boy and make sure he has everything he needs. I think she’ll be here for a few days,”

“Call me if you need anything,”

“Just make sure my babies and Junior get to school on time,” I said and hang up. I don’t know how long I waited but the nurse finally came and called out her name.

“Are you her relative?” she asked. I knew if I said I wasn’t they would insist on talking to one and that was why I lied.

“Yes, I am her sister,”

“She woke up and insists on leaving,”

“Can I see her?”

“Yes, I’ll get the doctor so she can explain what is going on,” She showed me her room and Clare was shocked to see me.

“I’m sorry for the inconvenience but I have to go, MJ needs me,” Just sitting up made her dizzy.

“Your son is okay, he’s at my house. I’m sure Mark will take good care of them but you have to take care of yourself first,” the doctor came in.

“Hallo, I’m Doctor Rosemary Awiti, chief surgeon here and this is Doctor Clinton Wanyeri one of the best neurosurgeons in the country,”

“I’m Melissa Maingi and this is my sister Clare,” Clare looked at me but didn’t say anything.

“Miss Clare Wakesho, how are you feeling?”

“I’m feeling fine,”

“Don’t believe her. She got dizzy as she tried to sit up,”

“Miss Wakesho we have some unfortunate news,”

“I have a tumour in my head,”

“You knew?”