xii. promises

all good things must
come to an end.

all good things must come to an end

xii. promises
3798 words.

       STORM AND ISAAC STEPPED OUT OF THE CAR, spotting almost everyone gathered at the meeting spot. The air felt charged with tension; it was the kind of atmosphere that clung to your skin, thick and electric. The plan was to take down the Kanima without casualties—or so everyone hoped. As they emerged from the vehicle, Storm finally got a clear view of Chris, Alison's father, standing alongside Scott.

The moment their eyes locked, a shift occurred. Though he didn't recognize her exactly, Storm could see the unease on his face, his displeasure at her presence evident. Isaac cast a quick glance at her before they headed to the backseat, where Jackson lay motionless.

Isaac eyed the black bag cautiously, dread pooling in his stomach. "I think he stopped moving," he muttered, worry creeping into his voice as their attention instantly shifted to the bag. Storm's heart raced, a hint of panic flickering in her chest.

Chris scanned the area, his expression serious as he asked, "Where's Derek?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Storm muttered under her breath, folding her arms tightly. Just then, Derek arrived, executing a flashy entrance with an impressive flip that landed him in front of them. Storm couldn't help but roll her eyes at his theatrics; this was not the time for showboating. Derek's gaze flickered between Storm and Chris, tension radiating from him.

"I'm here for Jackson. Not for you, or anyone else," Chris clarified, his voice steady but firm, ensuring that both Derek and Storm understood his intentions.

"I'm glad he clarified," Peter retorted, "Maybe he can look past your insistence of looking him up and down as though you're going to kill him." From the shadows, Peter's voice chimed in, a mocking lilt to his words. "Seriously, you've been scaring everyone away lately, Andromeda."

Storm rolled her eyes, recognizing his voice immediately. He was lurking in the shadows as usual. Best to keep her words to herself for now. She continued to ignore his banter.

"Somehow, I don't find that very comforting," Derek replied, his jaw tight.

"I don't think anyone does," Storm chimed in, unable to resist the urge to add her two cents. "But he who has lost his wife knows better," she added, drawing Derek's gaze, a flicker of understanding passing between them. Scott nudged her, reminding her of the gravity of the situation as Derek cleared his throat, breaking the tense silence.

"Just get him inside," Derek instructed, gesturing toward Jackson.

The three of them moved Jackson into the warehouse, standing over the ominous black bag. "Where are they?" Scott inquired, his eyes scanning the space.