vii. the full moon

"and now, look at you. hanging
around the upper crust of high
school."

vii

vii. the full moon
3188 words.

STORM STOOD BESIDE ISAAC, HER ARMS CROSSED, watching as Derek opened the chest with deliberate care. The dim lighting cast long shadows across the room as the lid creaked, revealing a symbol carved on the inside. The air felt thick with tension, the scent of metal and something older lingering.

   Isaac reached out, his fingers brushing the worn lines. "What is that?" he asked, his voice low as if the symbol itself demanded reverence.

   Boyd spoke up almost immediately. "It's a triskele," he said, the weight of the word hanging between them. Everyone turned to look at him, his sudden knowledge unexpected in the stillness of the room. "Spirals mean different things—past, present, future. Mother, father, child." His voice was steady, grounded.

   Storm glanced at Boyd, a small smirk tugging at the corner of her lips. "Smart," she muttered under her breath, her voice barely audible but laced with a quiet respect.

   Derek looked between them, the hint of a grin playing on his face. "Do you know what it means to me?" he asked, his tone shifting, a challenge in his eyes.

   "Alpha, beta, omega?" Boyd responded, the answer crisp.

   "That's right." Derek nodded, the faintest of smiles tugging at his lips. "It's a spiral. It reminds us that we can all rise to one or fall to another. Betas can become alphas, but alphas can also fall to betas—or even omegas."

   "Like Scott?" Isaac's voice cut through, curiosity laced with a hint of something darker.

   Derek's expression hardened, eyes flickering with something unreadable. "Scott's with us," was all he said, his gaze dropping to the floor, avoiding the deeper question.

   Isaac wasn't satisfied. "Really? Then where is he now?" Storm watched the exchange, her gaze flicking between the two boys, tension hanging in the air like a storm about to break.

   "He's looking for Jackson," Derek finally answered, his voice a low rumble. "Don't worry, he's not going to have it easy tonight. None of us will. There's always a price to pay for this kind of power."

   The clink of chains broke the silence, pulling Storm's attention. She stared at the heavy links Derek now held in his hands, her stomach twisting slightly at the sight.

   "You get the ability to heal," Derek said, his tone grim, "but tonight you're going to want to kill anything you can find."

   "Good thing I had my period last week, then," Erica joked, breaking the tension with her usual sarcasm. She glanced at Storm, the corner of her mouth lifting into a grin.