Chapter 1: Five Minutes For a Lifelong Regret

Dear Darla,

Five minutes. That was all it took for me to blow up the best thing that ever happened to me. I wish I could go back. If I knew the right way to apologize to you, I would. But I didn't want to start this with apologies. I wanted to explain how those words came out of my mouth. You said it was the only time I was ever honest with you, but it's not true. I just didn't know how to put what I was feeling into words.

Do you want to know what I thought when I first saw you?

The bruises on your face were a sunset. Like an abstract painting rather than someone's face.

Isn't that fucked up?

I'd been forced to watch so much shit at Grey Hogs. To pretend it didn't affect me. After a while, you really do stop caring, because if you don't, you break. And I refused to break. It wasn't the bruises that made me angry for you. The blue of your eyes reminded me of the lake at dawn. Right before I jump in. Smooth, glassy and calm, but underneath the shadows hide mysteries. You held my gaze for a beat, narrowed by the swelling. Whoever laid hands on you hadn't touched your spirit.

I understood the feeling. The weight of what we went through didn't destroy us on the inside. I made a vow to keep it that way, to protect you. My hands gripped the steering wheel so tight my wrists ached. I promised to protect you.

I failed.

You don't look at me anymore. Not even in this tiny cabin. Your gaze flits away like I'm a ghost and you can see right through me. Maybe you can.

Maybe everything good in me burned up years ago and all this time I've been as dead as I've felt inside.

Rooster