INFESTATION

KIMBERLY

"Come," Baba whispered as he slowly walked over to me. "Kim, you have to get up," he extended his hand. THUMP... THUMP... THUMP. I froze. Something was moving in the attic. "Kimberly, you have to get up." Slowly, I got up from my bed, trying not to make a sound. SRCRRRRATCH! I gasped. With careful steps, I tip-toed toward Baba. THUD! I covered my mouth to keep from screaming. I could feel the heat from above. CREEEAK, THUMP, BANG!

It sounded like an animal, but it moved with intent like a man. Maybe it was the person who broke in, but those footsteps didn't sound human at all. THUMP... THUMP.... THUMP. Heavy footsteps filled the silence. Then the lights in my room began to flicker, and my windows fogged up. Walking toward Baba, I noticed it was following me. We backed out of the room. The second I crossed the loom of my bedroom door, I heard something growl from the ceiling.

I froze.

Whatever it was, it ragefully struck the ceiling. BANG! Dust and marigold petals fell out of the crack, and I swear... I saw claw-tipped fingers pushing through the opening.

"Oh my god!" I screamed.

"Kimberly!" Baba pulled me out of the room and shut the door.

"What is happening?" I trembled.

"Go downstairs. Wait for me there," Baba instructed me.

To my horror, I saw my door handle twist on its own. "Baba?" I pointed at the shadow on the bottom of the door. Then I heard it growl. My skin prickled. Suddenly, I felt a pull. Acting fast, Baba quickly reached for the handle and shut the door before it could open. "Downstairs!" Uncle Ahmed instructed again. POP, POP, POP! The lights in the hallway began to burst one by one until the house was pitch black.... then my bedroom door creaked open.

Uncle Ahmed pushed me behind him. "'ANT GHAYR MURAHAB BIK FI HADHA ALMANZILI!" Baba yelled into the darkness.

The thing roared and the house shook.... it was gone?

Uncle Ahmed sighed, but he was trembling with fear. He looked back at me; I could see the sweat dripping down his face. "D-downstairs."

"What was that?" I asked.

He walked off and started checking the rooms, talking to himself. I followed him through the house, waiting for him to tell me something; anything would do. He wasn't even paying attention to me.

"What is going on!" I cried.

"It's like every time I come back, something is happening," Aunty Aminah laughed. I got a fright and screamed. She screamed, too, dropping her car keys and coffee. "What is this? Why are all the lights off?" She rushed into the lounge; Uncle Ahmed was checking the windowsills. "Ma al-amreh? What's going on? Why is nobody talking?"

"Call Conner," Baba told her firmly as he exited the room.

"Why?" She followed him out.

Uncle Ahmed took her upstairs.

I followed them but kept my distance.

I watched them walk into my room.

Uncle Ahmed pointed at the ceiling, and Aunty Aminah gasped before she rushed out of my room. "Come," she led me out of the house. Then called Officer Davis. We waited on the lawn.

"Aunty Aminah—"

"Just stay here," Aunty Aminah instructed when Officer Davis called.

After around fifteen minutes, Officer Davis showed up in our driveway. Baba rushed out and led him inside. Then Aunty Aminah returned with a packed backpack for me and gave me my phone.