four

Ever since Lando had shown his face multiple years prior at the Belgian Grand Prix, had sat in the McLaren garage and been so invested in the experience as a whole, he had caught the eye of Zak Brown, McLaren team principal.

The British boy was one of the top prospects, if not the best candidate for an F1 seat at his age. At only 17, he was showing the grit and determination required to succeed in such a harsh sport, and he had shown it consistently for many years. He would only gain experience and maturity with age, and Zak certainly wasn't the only elite member of F1 who had their eyes on the young Brit. In fact, it would not be an exaggeration to say his name had already rolled across the lips of every team principal on the grid by that point.

But the atmosphere at McLaren had called the Brit's name. He had so easily envisioned himself in papaya, reveling in the sense of unity in the air of that garage. Since that point, that team had been his goal, he had gotten a glimpse into what could be and he knew he would do everything within his reach to ensure that potential future was what would be.

He had continued to propel his career into the stratosphere. While he certainly loved to have fun, starting to enjoy partying until late at night, he never had any issue prioritizing. His racing responsibilities were his top priority and that was crystal clear to any bystander, anyone who really understood the way in which he conducted himself on a daily basis.

It had showed. There were periods in which it was questioned whether he knew what the word 'losing' even meant. It was as if he was levitating, his speed simply on another level. And with that, his confidence. He truly believed, it was Formula One or nothing to him and by the looks of things, he was more than on track to achieve the former.

Throughout this, Carlos had been closely watching his growth. The Spaniard couldn't bring himself to comprehend why he even cared, but he cared immensely, there was no doubt about that. He was always slightly easier to smile when he was comfortable in the knowledge that Lando had raced solidly, and it was impossible to wipe the smile off his face on the days that the Brit had stood on the top step of the podium. He wasn't the best at hiding these emotions, he had definitely been questioned a few times as to why he was smiling like an idiot when nothing humorous had occurred.

Maybe it was true that sometimes, connections formed in childhood couldn't be broken. The two of them had grown up along the same paths, Carlos watching Lando progress through everything he had done a few years prior. He was sure that the Brit would make it to Formula One, so history would surely repeat itself once more, but the third time Lando would walk alongside Carlos through the paddock in his race suit, a new member of the group of 20.

So when Lando received a formal looking letter, in a papaya envelope, his eyes had gone wide, a smile threatening to spread before he had read the contents of the letter.

It didn't disappoint.

He was ecstatic, no one could take him off the high that he rode for at minimum, a few days. McLaren itself wanted him as a test and reserve driver. The promise of 2018 held traveling with the team, attending the races and competing in lower categories when it was feasible for him. Closing in on his eighteenth birthday, the offer was a dream being brought to reality.

Without hesitation, he had accepted the offer, sharing his extensive gratitude to the team and his excitement of the leap forward, many steps closer to that dream, the pinnacle, the apex of his craft. He'd get to see it up close, experience what would likely be his future but this time in a much more real setting, as a member of the team rather than a guest.

Upon hearing the news that Lando would become a common face around the F1 paddock, Carlos' face had lit up almost as much as the Brit when he found out. In truth, he had believed in Lando since the very first time he had seen him race all those years ago. His talent was overwhelming since he was merely a child, so to see him receive the offer he truly deserved, well it was the most fulfilling thing. Carlos had thrived on watching people he cared for succeed in addition to his own success, and the rush of emotions that he felt upon the news only proved this truth.