thirteen

1. i'm back!

2. we're time skipping and this is legit not factually or chronologically true just go with it pls it's fiction

3. i know i was against a lestappen parallel in this fic but i have ideas of how i could do it, what do we think? so charles has that character development from being homophobic, lmk guys

4. there's a tiny bit of smut yw (don't kill me there will be more at some point i promise)

--------------------

Charles was furious as he watched his opportunity to reveal the love affair between his teammate and a rival driver slip before his very eyes. He knew his plan had failed for the first time, that in technicality they had done it on their own terms, the one thing he was trying to take away from them with his threats. He'd no longer be Ferrari's #1, now that he wasn't keeping up. 

Not that it had benefitted him that much in the end. He was still trailing Carlos in the championship, and the second chance he had to make use of his advantage, Lando out of all people had been the one to snatch it from him in a low move that was entirely intentional and regretfully, effective. 

In fact, Carlos' career had begun to skyrocket. He was seen more frequently on the podium, edging closer and closer to that maiden race win that no longer seemed elusive like it once did. It stung that Charles had a win before him, but he knew that he was proving himself to be the more consistent and reliable driver between the pair.

As for Lando, his standings also showed a slight rise. There was a question of whether even he was capable of standing on the top step of the podium, having been constantly viewed as a rising star. But now, entering his fourth season of Formula One, he was less a rising star and more a frequent name in the sport. With that came pressure and expectation, paradigms that he was seemingly coming to terms with at the mere age of 22.

After dropping the boyfriend bombshell on the media and issuing no apologies, the world held its breath as they waited for further context on the relationship. The Internet exploded, with a majority of the fans being in complete support while some feared it would destroy their track performance, seeing as they were on rival teams and were former teammates at that. Neither McLaren nor Ferrari pushed back too hard against the relationship, with said reassurance from both drivers that it would not affect their pace and that under no circumstances would team information be shared between the duo. The agreement was instantaneous from both drivers, it was a better negotiation result that either of them had been expecting.

It was as if life was finally settling into place. The relationship had been made public about as peacefully as it could have been, having been done on their own terms. Despite the anxiety of being on separate teams, that had fizzled down due to the understanding of both Ferrari and McLaren. And now that they didn't have to hide, they didn't care if cameras were on them as Carlos pressed a kiss to Lando's cheek after a race. They could walk around the other's hotel with no shame, they could hold hands in public and not have to apologize for it.

It was one night in particular that solidified them to the extent that it would take a revelation to break them. After the Monaco Grand Prix, where they had both stood atop the podium, Carlos couldn't help but plan something special for his younger boyfriend, as in the previous few weeks the moments alone had been hushed and stolen. They were kisses in passing in hotels, at the paddock, quick nights where as desperately as Lando wanted Carlos to stay the night, duty called and he couldn't afford to sleep in the hotel of a rival team.

But Carlos had recently purchased a boat and he intended on putting it to use.

It was a clear night, many of the boats crowding the harbor had already departed with the many celebrities that were in attendance at the Monaco race. It was late, the festivities having died down. And while most podium nights they would have certainly gone to an all exclusive club, partied, and gotten wasted, the Spanish driver had other plans.