Chapter 1

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

The Dominion of Canada paced across the room for the thirteenth time, a calm expression on his usually anxious face. He always paced when was thinking, even if the habit of fidgeting was unbecoming. He was waiting for a telephone call. Specifically, a telephone call from the Soviet Union. Although the current situation in Europe made actually seeing each other impossible, they made a habit of calling eachother once a week to go over strategy and update each other on the state of things.

The state of things.

In truth, the state of things was rather bad, though not quite as abysmal as it could be. Afterall, Canada was offering a steady supply of weapons to the Allies, and now the Soviet Union was able to lead the war effort in Europe. With his strong personality and frightening focus on vengeance, it seems like it was only a matter of time before they managed to loosen the iron grip that the Axis Powers had on the world. Although the Third Reich and the Japanese Empire had a great deal more countries on their side as of now, as well as the majority of the original Allies in their clutches, Canada was all too aware of the losses they had taken in regards to their heavy hitting countries.

The phone rang, and Canada quickly snatched it up, pressing it to his ear. "Yes?"

"Canada, can you hear me?" The deep, gritty voice of the USSR sounded, slightly staticky but understandable.

"Yes, I can." Canada responded, "Where are you calling from? Your line sounds spotty."

"The new base we discussed." He responded, "It is in a wooded area, so the phone-lines are not the most reliable."

"Ah, I see."

"Also," The union lowered his voice, "I bought this telephone myself, so my government has no connection to it."

"Oh, really?" Canada smiled, "And I assume you are happy about that?"

Soviet Union cleared his throat. "I am pleased at the prospect of privacy, yes. Although I understand the national security issues the wire-taps are put in to prevent, it is nice to know exactly who is hearing my words."

Canada hummed. Over the past few months he had become more and more aware of the less than stellar way the USSR's government interacted with their personification. He was also more acquainted with the Soviet Union's frustration at their actions. "That's great then."

"Yes, it is." The two were silent for a moment, before the USSR added. "But that is not the point of this call."

Canada nodded, even though he knew the USSR could not see it. "Right, you said you were in the new base? How is it?"

"It is adequate." He responded, "It is fairly rudimentary, but it will suffice for our needs. There's enough room for everyone who needs to be here, and enough seclusion to keep most sane people from finding it."

"Geez, how far out are you?"

"We are in the western part of my daughter Ukraine's territory, up in the mountains." The USSR explained, "Only the mentally unstable would try and navigate this area in the middle of winter."

"Are you guys at the summit?"

"No, more towards the bottom. Still, only a fool would search around this area for a military base."

Canada was not as certain about that. He sighed, "Well, you're the expert."

"Yes, I am." Soviet Union hummed, "How about you? Where are you calling from?"