Chapter 4

Disclaimer: I am well aware that the Ukrainian present in this chapter is most likely incorrect. However, I do not have the resources to check it. Please be lenient. And with that, enjoy!

___

Soviet Union was sure of himself. It was one of his many strengths. Sure, his government treated him like an infant, or perhaps a convict, depending on the way one looked at it. But regardless of that, he knew he could hold his own. This was due to the fact that he, unlike others, was not a fool. He knew that in order to thrive, one needed to rely on others. To have a network, or a support circle, depending on the day. It was practically the basis of his economy, and that was reflected in his own life and strategizing as well. So, when he had declared war on the Third Reich after he decided to betray him, allying himself with Canada had been practically a given. Because even though he was huge and dangerous, and could easily kill the Third Reich on his own (at least in person), having more people was never a bad thing.

The only problem with this was that he tended to not like people. Or at least, he tended not to like them for long. In his experience, one's true colors always showed after a bit, and were often far uglier than whatever facade they had been keeping up previously. And if there was one thing he hated more than capitalism, it was someone who was deceitful.

Not that he was perfect. Again, he was no fool. But he was authentic.

That had always been a distinct wedge between him and the Third Reich. The bastard thrived off of fake smiles and insincerity. It was practically his only strength. He had manipulated his way into taking control of the entire German government, a position the USSR was extremely envious of, although he would never admit to it.

It had been infuriating to watch him flaunt about, words dripping with patronization in a way that made Soviet itch to put him in his place.

But he never did.

Because Stalin signed a treaty, and the government approved it. So Soviet had been stuck with him.

Then Third Reich had attacked him. And although he had been enraged, there was a strange joy amongst it all. Because for once, he had been proven right. For once, it was clear that his government having power over him wasn't always for the best. For once, he had leverage.

So he had marched into Stalin's office and demanded war.

Demanded.

Him, demanding.

It was thrilling, and Soviet would have savored it if it weren't for the circumstances that led to it.

And it worked.

He had gotten power over his military, and the knowledge that he could use the utter trainwreck that was his government's alliance with the Third Reich to push for things in the future. To push for more food for his citizens, less censorship on his personal correspondence, and maybe even a real election one day.

He had power now. Or at least the pull he needed to acquire some.

However, at this moment he felt distinctly powerless, towering over the shelves of a small-town store and squinting down at a selection of frilly quilts. If he had it his way, their base would only have the bare necessities. Guns, alcohol, and the occasional meal. But he lived with a few members of the European Allied Powers, and was thus being subjected to their typically frivolousness. It didn't help that one was a woman.

Now, Soviet Union had nothing against women. In fact, he liked them a great deal. His very existence was brought about by angry women marching into Moscow for their right to have their husbands at home and bread in their bellies. But European women, in the USSR's experience, acted differently than the women he was raised by. There were social rules they followed, and expected him to follow, all of which simply flew over his head due to cultural differences and the like. In his first years of existence, he had offended many by failing to perform some chivalrous act that was considered standard among the continent's countries. Whether it was his aggressive tone or vulgar language, there was always something about him that was unfit to interact with the dress-dawners of Europe. So, he eventually started avoiding them entirely. In fact, one of the only women he spoke to besides those in his Union was America, simply because she was just as vulgar as he was, much to the disdain of her commonwealth family. Granted, 'spoke to' wasn't quite what he did with America. No, the two of them argued. It was crude and violent, but it was real, and that meant that the Soviet Union had at least a little respect for it.