🦅 Locked & Loaded [5/6] 🦅

Stick's POV:

I woke up in a cold sweat, my eyes snapping open.

The sound of tanks whirring around us came to my ears, as well as the hardy voices of soldiers chatting about mission operations being put in place.

Cold air rushed into my motorcycle helmet, sending a chill down my spine as I hid myself under the blankets.

Wait... Blankets?

To my surprise, I realized that I was in a bed, specifically a bunk bed.

Covered in a thick comforter, I sat up, groggily shoving a hand under my helmet and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. "What time is it?"

Darkness shrouded the room I was in, making it difficult to see from behind my already tinted helmet visor.

I heard loud snoring from above me, which I assumed was Jester getting some sleep.

Turning to the side, I noticed 69 and Polar sitting together on the bottom bed of their bunk, speaking in hushed tones.

"You're coming with us on this mission, regardless of your ability to fight." 69 said, leaning back into a pillow. "I'm aware that you're a living ice pack, but you're still going to be some use. Up to playing cheerleader?"

"No... But I'm worried for you guys," Polar whispered, resting her head on her front paws. "I don't wanna be deadweight to this group... It doesn't feel so nice being a burden."

"Oh, please." 69 argued, gently booping her on the snout. "You're trying, and that's all that matters. I know you're not the best fighter on the team, but you can definitely deal some damage."

So they were talking about combat.

I mean, of course they are.

That mercenary robot rather rust away in a garage than never get to crack a person's ribs again.

Eavesdropping on them, I decided to make myself look as asleep as possible to keep listening in on their conversation.

"I know you're trying to encourage me," Polar went on, flicking her ears. "but maybe I should at least try to work out... Stick?"

Shoot, she caught me real quick.

So much for staying under the radar.

"Uh, hi." I mumbled, lying back down on my bed. "Whatcha guys up to?"

69 gently picked up Polar by the scruff, setting her down on a pillow. "Nothing much. Just discussing some plans."

Something seemed off, but I couldn't remember what it was. "Is this real, or am I just dreaming?"

Polar blinked at me, her tail twitching. "It's real alright. Just as real as the fur on my flanks!"

Suddenly, everything made sense.

All the events that happened previously was just a nightmare, a bad dream.

We had literally just arrived in Arizona, and our day was about to begin.

69 told me I had apparently fallen asleep while we passed through the portal, so he wanted us to rest before our little endeavor began.

It all felt a bit rushed, but it definitely made sense.

"I saw what happened in your nightmare," Jester yawned, rolling over on our top bunk. "I'm pretty sure Polar's capable of a little more than just eating away at 69's compartments."

The room went silent for a solid twenty seconds, awkwardly registering exactly how to take Jester's statement.

"I mean, in combat, of course," I added hesitantly, relieving some of the tension in the room. "Anyways, what now?"