Chapter 12 - City Streets

Sorry for the wait everybody, but this is very very difficult for me to write. I just don't like romance stuff. "Why did you write a self-insert book about the Ink Demon, then?" I hear you ask. The answer to that is simple, I have a big ego. Let that be a lesson to you all; don't do stupid things just because your ego is big. Do smart things, like saying no to drugs and stuff.

——————————————————-

    "We must leave," Inky says simply, after I'm done screaming in his face.

    Gently, he scoops up my crumpled body. I mean, it doesn't look that bad, but it feels pretty crumpled to me.

    "Hold on," he says, and I unhesitatingly cling to his upper arm. I look behind him for a moment to see a couple more Keepers spilling into the devastated room. They squirm past their fallen comrade without even glancing at its headless body, their attention totally locked on us. Or more so just locked on Inky.

    "Okay let's go we gotta go!" I squeal quickly.

    Inky lurches forward at the wall in front of us. I shut my eyes tight while still clinging on to his arm, expecting him to break through. We don't make impact with a dry wall, though. I'm instead met with the feeling of wet ink against my face for a second, and then the ink envelops my body.

    I try to open my eyes, but there is only liquid darkness. I can't see him, but I can feel that I'm still being held by Inky. It also feels like we're moving through the ink, as it flows around us. I open my mouth to ask "what is happening", but the words are flooded by ink.

    Suddenly there is light, and I gasp to breathe air. I can open my eyes again. I look up at Inky, and of course I ask "what was that?"

    "We travelled by the walls, we are far away from that place now," he explains as he walks away from the wall we were standing in front of.

    It takes me a good moment to really process where we are, because it is honestly completely wild. There are tall buildings all around us, and I don't mean the kind of big structures you might find in an indoor place, I mean office buildings and apartment complexes. There's no ceiling, and I can actually see a moon in the sky. For a moment, I think we've gone back to the outside world, away from hell. But then I realize that there are still only two colours; yellow and black. The buildings may be tall, but they still have the same paper-and-pencil look to them. Inky sees my dumbfounded expression.

    "Have you not been here?" he asks.

    "No, I never imagined there could be a whole city in this place!" I say, amazed.

    Inky finds a bench to lay me down on. I wince a little as he lowers me, because my head, neck, and back still hurt quite a bit. He then finds himself a seat on the ground in front of me.

    "You came to rescue me, didn't you Y/N?" he says.

    "Yeah, of course," I say. He huffs a little.

    "The was dangerous. If I had not awoken, you would have died."

    I smile at him.

    "I couldn't leave you there. You're my best friend. Plus, even if I did die, I would just come back, wouldn't I?"

    I think he frowns, in a way. It's hard to tell, he doesn't have lips or anything so yeah.

    "Death is an experience you could be scarred by for the rest of eternity. To die and be reborn is not natural to any living beings. It is not supposed to happen, but this places makes it happen anyway. Do not allow yourself to die, it is one of the first steps towards insanity here."