3

Hermione added a couple of logs to the fire that she'd built in her sitting-room hearth. Then, going from room to room, she lit a few gingerbread scented candles, checking to make sure that everything was tidy as she went. Her friends were coming over and it was the perfect cold, snowy night to stay inside and watch a Christmas film.

They tried to do this monthly, taking turns to host, and it was her turn. They'd missed November but managed to have a large enough group for tonight; only Percy and Oliver couldn't make it this time. They were attending Oliver's holiday quidditch banquet.

After leaving Hogwarts, Hermione discovered that she genuinely loved to fuss in the kitchen, and typically tested new recipes when she hosted film night. Unfortunately, with the huge order that she'd filled for St. Mungo's and delivered on Thursday, followed by a much smaller order that she filled for a specialty apothecary the previous day, she hadn't felt up to making a big meal. Instead, she'd impulsively stopped into Trattoria Bella Rosa to order a takeaway meal that she knew her friends would love.

As soon as she entered the restaurant she was greeted by her delivery man from Wednesday. He held the door open with a charming smile, "Welcome! You must meet my Nonna, she'll be pleased to see you. She's been talking constantly about the handsome and romantic young man who uses her spaghetti to woo his sweetheart." He started to turn away, but paused and added, "I'm Luca, by the way. I don't think I introduced myself the other day."

"Thank you, Luca. I'm Hermione, and I would love to meet your Nonna." She followed Luca as he led the way through the cozy restaurant. It was the type of place that made you feel welcome. It was divided into rooms as if it had once been a home instead of a place of business. Each room held a large brick fireplace and as many simple, wooden tables as would comfortably fit. Decorations were sparse and simple, yet the place was packed. The food was clearly the star and kept patrons returning for more of the delicious fare.

Hermione was led to a hallway and asked to wait for a moment while Luca pushed open a swinging door. The warmth and divine scents that wafted out told Hermione that he was going into the kitchen. A moment later, a tiny gray-haired woman rushed into the hallway. She greeted Hermione warmly, kissing her on each cheek as her grandson made the introductions.

With an appraising gaze, the lovely woman who had invited Hermione to call her Nonna nodded, "Yes, yes, yes. The two of you are perfect. I can see it. You will make beautiful babies."

"I don't even know who he is, Nonna. How can I possibly..."

Grinning as she was interrupted by a firm shake of the head, "No, you are perfect, you will see.  You will come back and visit me when he woos you properly. The two of you will have dinner, a date." 

The elderly woman smiled. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Hermione. Don't forget, come back and see me. Ask for Nonna when you come. My staff knows that if someone is allowed to call me that it's because I want to see them. Now, I must get back to my sauce. Luca will help you with whatever you need. He's a good boy."

Feeling as if she'd been caught up in a tiny, but powerful whirlwind, Hermione turned to Luca. "Do you have a takeaway menu? I need to feed a crowd tonight."

Just a few hours later, she was setting everything up family style at her table. They typically had appetisers, or other snacks that they could eat while watching the film, but tonight they would have a real meal before they began. She really didn't think that anyone would complain.