The Law: 1

1978 started calmly but it was only a matter of time. At the start, the group had played a couple of gigs before they went in the studio to make their next record. During that time, I had gone in and spoken to the Rock Against Racism group. They had put out a couple of zines at this point and were set to hold a March this spring. After finding out the National Front was trying to take "White Riot" as a song based in opposition of people of color, The Clash had stated that they would play a gig for R.A.R. In the meantime, I was helping them as well as going to the foundation to finalize our music program. And between all of that, I was being a 21 year old woman in that I'd try to go out from time to time with Paul or just with Ella. I was avoiding any old habits but it was hard.

I was at a gig for The Damned with Paul and he had gone backstage to speak with Ray. I hung back and got a drink before heading back there myself. When I did, I saw Paul sitting in a chair as a lanky blonde woman sat on the arm of it and trying to whisper to him. He had a cigarette in one hand and was trying to lean away from her, gripping the opposite armrest with his free hand. I knew who it was. Caroline was a journalist of sorts and I had heard for some time that she was interested in Paul and that she would go to any lengths to get him. It was delusional to say the least. We could avoid her for the most part but then she'd just appear lately.

"Dave!" I walked up and hugged Dave Vanian. "How are you love?"

"Aw babydoll, you look gorgeous as usual. I'm alright, you?" He kissed my cheek.

"Did you see this fuckin' joker?" I tilted my head to Caroline who hadn't noticed me.

"Oh shit, no. What are ya gonna do?" He chuckled.

"I'm not supposed to fight anymore, it's a young man's game." I joked.

"Well...you better do somethin' babe because she looks rabid." He nudged me and handed me his cigarette.

I turned around before walking over that way, pushing my tits higher up in my bra so they were really out on show. For a laugh. I turned again and made my way to Paul. He saw me as soon as I took a step and leapt up from his seat to meet me. He wrapped me in his arms, kissing me deeply, practically dipping me.

"Hi baby." He said when he stopped a second then continued kissing me. "Fuckin' hell you look so fine."

"Ugh bollocks." I heard a female voice say behind us.

"Still not fighting right?" I pulled back and gave him the ole doe eyes.

He inhaled sharply, "She'd put that in the papers."

"Maybe I just have a chat." I kissed him quickly and slipped out of his arms. I walked to the chair Paul had sat in where Caroline still sat on the arm of and sat down myself. I continued smoking and she started to get up and I held her wrist down.

"Ow! Get off of me you cunt!" She exclaimed as she yanked her hand away and stood up.

I nodded and inhaled smoke, "Aw did that hurt? Aww." I mocked her as I got to my feet in front of her.

"Oh are you gonna beat me up now Lori? I guess even rich people can be trash."

"Ya know...I'm not actually. I'm not going to beat you up. Ya know why Caroline?" I picked up an empty can and put my cigarette in it. "Because you aren't worth the energy. And as much as I'd like to take out the trash, I'll leave you to rot."

"Well aren't you just a witty little thing. You can't do for him what I can do. You should really just fuck off." She slurred a bit drunkenly.

"Right, I have to step in because maybe you just need to hear it from me AGAIN. I don't like you. I'm not interested in you. I'm fuckin' married, and I love this woman more than I can even quantify. You can't do fuckin' anything for me Caroline. The end." Paul snapped, standing between the two of us.