QUIDDITCH

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy gray and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, Hayley would be playing in her first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the house championship. Hardly anyone had seen Hayley play because Oliver had decided that, as their secret weapon, Hayley should be kept, well, secret. But the news that she was playing Seeker had leaked out somehow, and Hayley didn't know which was worse -- people telling him she'd be brilliant or people telling her they'd be running around underneath her holding a mattress. It was really lucky that Hayley had Teddy and Hermione as a friend. She didn't know how she'd have gotten through all her homework without them, what with all the last-minute Quidditch practice Oliver was making them do. Draco had also lend her Quidditch Through the Ages, which turned out to be a very interesting read. 

The day before Hayley's first Quidditch match the Quartet was out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Teddy had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. Hayley noticed at once that Snape was limping. Four of them moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway. "What's that you've got there, Potter?" It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Hayley showed him. "Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

"That slimy little fucker"  James and Sirius yelled, angrily. As Severus looked smug. 

"Mr. Black, Mr. Potter, Language." McGonagall said sharply. Though she glared nastily at Snape, but knew she couldn't do anything about it as it hasn't happened yet. 

"I'm telling you this git is done for" Rose whispered to Sirius and James who nodded glaring at Severus. 

"That dungeon bat just made that rule up," Hayley hissed angrily as Snape limped away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" She asked the boys "Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," Raphael said bitterly. The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. The Quartet along with Neville and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione and Teddy were checking Draco, Raphael, Hayley and Neville's Charms homework for them. Hayley felt restless. She wanted Quidditch Through the Ages back, to take her mind off her nerves about tomorrow. Why should she be afraid of Snape? Getting up, she told them she was going to ask Snape if she could have it. "Better you than me," they said together, but Hayley had an idea that Snape wouldn't refuse if there were other teachers listening. She made her way down to the staff room and knocked. There was no answer. She knocked again. Nothing. Perhaps Snape had left the book in there? It was worth a try. She pushed the door ajar and peered inside -- and a horrible scene met her eyes. Snape and Filch were inside, alone. Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages.

"Merlin! My eyes! MY EYES!" Rose, Sirius and James yelled making gagging sounds. Severus looked down angrily as everyone laughed loudly. 

"Nice legs Snivellus" Marlene smirked mockingly. Remus and Frank were laughing madly as Lily and Regulus tried but failed to conceal their giggle.    

"Blasted thing*," Snape was saying. "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?" Hayley tried to shut the door quietly, but -- "POTTER!" Snape's face was twisted with fury as he dropped his robes quickly to hide his leg. Hayley gulped. "I just wondered if I could have my book back." she barely said, when, "GET OUT! OUT!" Hayley left, before Snape could take any more points from Gryffindor. She sprinted back upstairs. "Did you get it?" Raphael asked as Hayley joined them. "What's the matter?" Draco asked, worried. In a low whisper, Hayley told them what she'd seen. "You know what this means?" she finished breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! He's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!" Teddy and Hermione's eyes were wide. "No -- he wouldn't," Hermione said. "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe." Teddy said innocently "Honestly, Hermione, Teddy, you think all teachers are saints or something," Draco said. "I'm with Hayley. I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?" Raphael added. "I agree with Lia, too" Neville added in small voice.