CHAPTER 7

It's almost time for the sun to set so we decided to stay a little longer and watch the sunset together. She didn't say anything else after her little story about the light house. She just sits there looking at the horizon, makes me wonder what she's thinking. I hope I'm not boring her with my presence. As much as I want to get to know her better, I didn't dare to talk or start a conversation. I don't even know what to say anyway so I just sat there admiring the view.

Time passed by and the color of the sky turned into pink and orange. The sun is close to dipping itself on the ocean's horizon. There is always this immense feeling of sadness that comes along with sunsets.  Maybe it's because we always associate sunsets with endings. The sadness that comes along with bitter sweet ending. Or perhaps maybe it's because once the sun sets, we know that darkness will come and the slight touch of dread it impels. Before I even realized, my eyes are starting to swell up with tears. I quickly wipe them up before Kizzy notices. I don't want her to see me being emotional over a sunset. When I took a glimpse of her, her eyes are steady to the horizon, face aglow with the last orange rays before twilight beckons the stars. Her lips bear the semblance of a smile, just enough to show that she is enjoying her thoughts, whatever they may be. I stayed quiet allowing her to stay lost in the moment a while longer.

"We should probably go." She said after a while, standing up from her seat looking at me.

"Right.. but uhm.. can we at least take a picture? Just something to remember this day by. I don't think I'll ever have a chance to see this again." I said. I really just don't want to go yet. The world seems so quiet up here. The thoughts that were clouding my mind seem to be so far away from here. The little peace and quiet that I have will be gone once we go back.

"Huh? What do you mean?" She asked obviously confused on what I'm saying.

"Well y'know.. who knows when will I ever come here again? Its not like I can come here anytime I like. This is your place not mine."

"Of course you can! I don't mind sharing it with you."

"Wi-wi-with me?" I asked stuttering in shock.

"Yes." She said as if it's the most obvious answer.

"So.. uhm.. does that mean I can come here again? with you? Anytime?"

"Sure. That's what I meant when I say with you. Now, let's take your silly little photo. Its getting dark already." She pulled me by my elbow and position herself next to me. I, on the other hand can't process the fact that her hand is wrapped around my waist.

Again.

"Rachel, phone please."

"Oh right! Right.. here."

We took a few snaps and poses but her hand never left my waist the whole time.

After taking pictures, we head back down to the shoreline. I couldn't help but smile on our way back. Who would have thought that a tree, a lighthouse and a sunset can bring this much healing to me. My inner self is saying that maybe it's not the light house or the sunset thats special but I push it back to the very back of my mind. The smile on my face immediately fades away when I saw the ATV and thought to myself, Ahhh.. shit.. here we go again.