Cast

Timothèe Chalamet as Troy Bolton: the most popular student at East High School, and the captain of the varsity basketball team. On New Year's Eve, after singing with Kylie, he finds himself developing a crush on her.

Kylie Jenner as Gabriella Montez: a new student and one of the brainiacs on the scholastic decathlon team. She develops a love for Timothèe after meeting him at a New Year's Eve party.

Ben Hemmings as Sharpay Evans: Luke's twin brother and an energetic and proud student with a love for theatre. He very easily pushes around his brother. He is very mean, unlike him, but enjoys being the center of attention, particularly Timothèe and is admired by Shawn.

Luke Hemmings as Ryan Evans: Ben's twin brother. He is very easily pushed around by his brother but is not as mean as him, despite going along with his plans to sabotage Timothèe and Kylie. He is also shown to not be particularly smart, such as not knowing how to spell "drama", never understanding Ben's plans and is admired by Ariana.

Liam Payne as Ms. Darbus: the stern drama teacher at East High. He despises sports and cell phones but takes his job very seriously, though he can be overdramatic. He clashes frequently with Coach Louis Tomlinson.

Michael Clifford as Chad Danforth: Timothèe's best friend, Perrie's love interest, and is very good friends with Shawn and Justin. He likes the status quo but later ends up dating Decathlon captain Perrie.

Perrie Edwards as Taylor McKessie: Kylie's friend, Michael's love interest, and very good friends with Sabrina and Ariana Grande. She is captain of the school's scholastic decathlon team, and despises the basketball players and cheerleaders, believing them to be airheads, although she later ends up going out with Michael.

Louis Tomlinson as Coach Jack Bolton: Timothèe's father and the coach of the basketball team. He has a mutual dislike with Mr. Payne, thinks that theatre is worthless, and also believes that Kylie is a distraction to Timothèe's basketball career. However, he eventually comes around to it.

Ariana Grande as Kelsi Neilson: a friend of Kylie and Perrie and a student at East High. She is a pianist and composer. She is very shy and is constantly bossed around by Ben, but is the end, he learns to stand for herself and not get bossed around by Ben, She also enjoys composing and is an admirer of Luke.

Shawn Mendes as Zeke Baylor: a friend of Timothèe and Michael who plays for the basketball team. He also enjoys baking and is an admirer of Ben. 

Justin Bieber as Jason Cross: Sabrina's love interest, one of the jocks on the scholastic decathlon team and plays for the basketball team. He also tends to ask mundane questions in Mr. Payne's class. He is good friends with Timothèe, Michael and Shawn.

Harry Styles as Lisa Montez: Kylie's father. His job caused him to be transferred frequently from city to city, but he has been guaranteed that he and Kylie graduates from high school.

Calum Hood as Dave Matsui: a principal at East High. He does the morning announcements every day.

Sabrina Carpenter as Martha Cox: Justin's love interest and a preppy brainiac who enjoys hip-hop. She is good friends with Kylie, Perrie and Ariana.

Jade Thirlwall as Lucille Bolton: Timothèe's mother. She serves food for Timothèe at his house but is more sufficient for Timothée to lose her.

Ashton Irwin as Skater Dude #1

Nick Jonas as Skater Dude #2

Marisa Tomei as Ms. Falstaff: the librarian at East High. She keeps Michael quiet in the library and gets a book for Kylie and Ben to read and takes her job very carefully.

Dove Cameron as Susan: a girl who auditions for the winter musical but did not get the role.

Niall Horan as Alan: a boy who auditions for the winter musical but did not get the role. He is the second singer in the auditorium. 

Katy Perry as Cyndra: a girl who auditions for the winter musical and is not happy when she does not get the role. She is the fourth singer in the auditorium.