Part Four: The Car

Summer before college- after the match

Tashi walked to her car after she had left the other three when they went to grab something to eat. She knew she wanted to go with them just to see the boys for a little longer. She didn't understand why she liked them, she hadn't even known them that long. Really, she's only talked to them twice before this moment. Once at a joint Christmas party that her parents and Addison's put on and later at Addison graduation party. Tashi didn't even think that they would remember her, but they must have.
Once Tashi arrived at her car with her tennis bag and Gatorade, she hopped right in the driver's seat. Instead of driving away, she just sat there, in disbelief that she had lost. She never thought that she would feel this way when the day finally came that she would lose. She knew that everyone would lose at least once in their career, but she didn't expect today to be the day. She pulled down the car's visor to look in the mirror at herself. A tear rolled down her face. That's when she noticed Patrick in the background running towards her car. She hastily wiped her tears and put the visor back up.
Patrick knocked on the passenger side window and motioned for Tashi to put down the window. She complied. "Hey, I hope you remember me, so this won't be weird, but can I get in real quick," Patrick said nervously. Once again Tashi complied and unlocked her car. Patrick got in and sat in the passenger's seat. "Hey Patrick, of course, I remember you, I'm just confused as to why you're here and not with the Champion," Tashi said with a bummed tone.
Patrick let out a subtle laugh, "Oh Tashi, we both know you are the champion, this is the first game you've ever lost, that's insane." Tashi just smiled, even though right now she didn't agree with him, she felt nothing like a champion. "Thanks, but this game was the one that mattered," Tashi said while she choked back tears. She was not going to let herself cry in front of Patrick Zweig. Patrick saw the tears forming in Tashi's eyes, "The Tashi Duncan I've heard about would never cry," said Patrick jokingly. Tashi, now a little embarrassed, scoffed a little and just turned to look out the window. Patrick looked at Tashi with a concerned expression when she said, "Hey, look at me, you are Tashi Duncan, you are a million times better than Addison Herrings." "Is that why this one mattered since you were playing her?" questioned Patrick. Tashi just listened to him while continuing to look at the window.
She knew that's why this game mattered so much to her, she wanted to prove to herself that she was capable of beating Addison. Patrick gently reached over and lightly grabbed Tashi's chin, pointing her face towards him. Tashi felt a world of emotions— sadness and regret, but now passion and butterflies. She would never let him know that, so she just stifled her smile and looked at him. Tears were still rolling down her face because she couldn't hold them back. Patrick just smiled and tenderly wiped her tears with his hand. They just looked at her each other for a minute.
Finally, Tashi pulled herself enough to respond to Patrick, "That's not the only reason today mattered, and plus I thought you were close to Addison? She's dating your best friend." Patrick knew about Tashi and Addison growing apart, he heard about it from Addison during high school. He knew she wanted to beat Addison, so he didn't want to make her continue talking about the game. He responded, "Well, you're right she is just that, my best friend's girlfriend, we aren't very close, there's nothing bad between us, just not close." Tashi noticed there was something he was not saying. "It feels like that's not the whole story," Tashi said. Patrick showed a small guilty smile, "You're right, that's not the full story, but I don't think I should fully go into that. Long story short, Addison and Art had a rough patch and ever since then Addison and myself wouldn't consider us close." Tashi slightly perked up when he revealed that the perfect couple had had a rough patch, but it only made her wonder what had happened and why could Patrick say more.
Tashi, trying to think of all the possibilities, said, "Oh, you can't just leave it at that, you have to tell me the story now." Patrick smiled and laughed, "Nope that story is for another time." Tashi pleaded, "pleassse, can you please tell me," she never thought that Patrick would be the one she'd be pleading to. Patrick's smile continued while he just enjoyed her pleading. "How about this? Are you going to Addison's party tonight? If so, I maybe will tell you there when the two love birds aren't around," said Patrick. Tashi responded quickly, "Yes yes, I'll be there, you better tell me then." She held up her pinky finger waiting for his to interlock with hers. He grabbed her picky with his, and said, "I promise."
Tashi had to get back to her house to clean up and begin getting ready for the party. Patrick opened the door and said with a smirk on his face, "Don't worry I would never break a promise to you, THE Tashi Duncan." Tashi could feel herself blushing, so she quickly smiled and waved goodbye. Patrick ran off back to the country club.

**Author's note**
Ohhhhh I love this sweet little scene between the two. Who knew they would be this comfortable together?!?! Well like always I hope you enjoyed!